Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any members own the above? If so maybe some impression on the vehicle re MPG- AGE- fors and againsts would be most helpful. Preferably the latest Model

Realspeed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well latest news, Picked up the Sorento yesterday afternoon and had a quick chance to have a "Play " with it.
First impressions

It is a completely different beast from the Honda CR-V, appears to have so much more power but that may be down mainly to the gearing as the Honda is a 6 speed manual box against the 5 speed manual Kia.
Also the ride is so different, the Kia does take a little more handling but being a much bigger car and suspension setup is different is my guess and also not yet being used to it may account for that.
Having Had the Lexus RX 300 SE-l MK1 and MK2 it is the nearest comparison I can make, size and shape being very similar. Where the Kia gains is that diesel engine on fuel consumption, can't understand why Lexus don't produce similar. The build quality as far as I can tell is very good and well up to the standard on main stream makes, and now this latest version is out I can see loads more selling if the name Kia doesn't put people off.
Have to say the only minor downside is that they don't do a full screen Sat Nav system, so bought a portable one to compensate but would have preferred one built in, I can see that being the next step as Smart nav in the XT Sorento really put me off buying the higher version. Something Kia really want to address. Also the dials need to be made clearer to my mind they don't stand out enough especially the 30 MPH segment.
I was offered gap insurance by the dealer but I have found that you can buy Gap insurance far cheaper than the dealers price for the same cover, about a two thirds the price via the internet.
I also today put on a paint protect conserver from Diamond bright direct at about £25 a bottle and applied it, if a garage does exactly the same thing the cost shoots up to around £150.
getting back to the car as I wondered off track a bit ( not uncommon for me) Having to get used to the wiper and light stalkes being on opposite sides to what I am used to takes some doing , after all what other drivers realise that the wipers going means I am turning right or left.
As other corrospondents have already noted looking in the mirror toward the back and through the back window is a little on the too dark side but it does stop people being able to look in which is the purpose I think. One gripe I do have is the cigar lighter, why one earth did they put it behind the popout cover of the ash tray? Plugging in any other item to it is impossible, such as mobile phone , Road Angel or the like, absolutely stupid. Ok you may point out that there is a seperate power socket in the same area to use ,but that has perminant power to it and doesn't switch off when the ignition is off. This means that should you accidently leave something plugged in puts a drain on the battery. Think I may rewire this to conform with the latter, ie off with ignition.
Think those 3 items sat nav - power socket- dial clarity- is about the only thing needs looking into by Kia.

Big question, am I pleased with the car and the answer so far has to be an assured YES especially for the price.
Now if Kia could get the same car with an autobox down on exhaust emmissions to bring it in line with the same road fund licence fee as the manual they would have another winner on their hands.

Realspeed

Edited by: realspeed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One annoying thing is the contact ignition switch via the clutch peddle. What a stupid idea, should the switch break thru constant clutch depressions you stand no chance of starting the car.
if possible I plan to remove the switch and crimp the wires together if possible so the ignition will start without depressing the clutch peddle.
The other problem with it is it stops smooth travel of the clutch peddle . it is most annoying to. feel the switch when being gentle on the clutch.

Realspeed

Edited by: realspeed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts