Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Sorento xt started making a gawd awful noise (clunking) when decelerating and going down hill,it sounded like it was on the near side .is this the transfer box ?
I've read that there's been a recall on these boxes ,anyone know if that's true
Help

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
There has never been any recall on these boxes.They fail mainly due to the fact that people do not follow the hand book instructions and keep rotating the tyres.It is essential to always ensure that the tyres are matched and not different manufactures on different axles and the best tyres are always on the rear.This is the only way you will avoid clutch failure inside the transfer box. If you want a Sorento without this problem it is the XE model with selectable 4 WD only when you need it.

Just update. First of all check your front prop-shaft UJ's are not about to give up due to lack of lubrication as if these fail when driving can cause so much damage many Sorento's have been scrapped.
Edited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks . Car is now with Croxdales, a company like kwikfit but better ,who have done all the checks and seem to think it's the transfer box
Can you buy refurbished boxes or is it best to let Croxdales strip and replace existing parts in box
I m 64 and don't have any where else to turn to or a place to do it myself

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
have you checked the tyres to make sure they are all the same make, model, ply, etc remove the tccs fuse and try it for noise, if they are a kwik fit type garage they will not know enough about these boxes, even some kia dealers do not know enough,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
Yes al tyre are the same make .no disernable different wear on any of them
Will try taking the tcc fuse out / tell CroxdalesTo try it
Why would takeing a fuse out stop the clunking?
Don't understand !

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
if it is the transfer box making the noise then it is worth trying it with the tccs fuse out, it disables the 4x4 function in the transfer box, also these require a special fluid in the transfer box to stop the plates sticking together,( kia do it or use dextron III with friction modifier added) which can also cause extraneous noises, I think you are taking a bit of a risk with a kwik fit type of garage. I assume they have carefully examined the prop shafts etc, the rear diff can also make clonking noises if the wrong type of oil is fitted, lsd oil have friction modifier in it which stops the sun gear plates sticking and clonking,

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also Have the same problem I've had new uj fit to both props but still have like a clunking noise from transfer box it's only if I exelerate hard or on slippy surface ,,any idea's ????

·
Super Moderator
3,135 Posts
Welcome Andy - but this is the wrong place to ask detailed questions and since you don't say what year your car is I'll have to move this thread to Main Message Centre.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts