Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 plate Sorento has developed rust over the high level brake light (broken through the paint and bubbling) and either side of the chrome strip over the release handle.
Clearly this is not due to impact damage of any kind and is looking a mess. To work on it the tailgate will have to removed and it looks costly.

I've been in touch with Kia who state that as it's not coming from the inside the warranty doesn't cover it and I will have to show evidence of manufacture fault. Surprise!?

Has anyone else got the same problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi yes, I have slight rust either side of the chrome strip, but I have only owned the car for three weeks, I did notice this before I bought the car, but wasnt going to let this get in the way of owning an otherwise lovely example !!

May nip to chips away or such like to see how much they would want

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have 2004 sorento with bad rust both sides of chrome trim on the tail gate.when i did remove trim and found it has rusted to a hole behind.car was about 4 years old when i see it so was still under warranty but kia customer service and warranty did not want to know saying it is rusting from the out side and not the inside,but you can not see this behind the trim,i was told by body shop person at my kia garage that have done the services on my car that their is a problem the sorento and sedona and they have in the past put a copper washer between the trim and body to stop the 2 rubbing. i was shown a sedona in the work shop that was also rusting.but customer service say they have not herd of this before,needless to say i will not buy another kia and will not recommed buying a kia. and as for 72 month warranty its not worth the paper its written on. i was toldbuy customer service on the phone call that if warrantyhave rejected the cliam what do you expect us to do about it.sorry thats not customer service..........................

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 04 sorento XS also had some rust bubbling up through the paintwork next to the chrome strip on the tailgate - My local freindly bodyshop charged £100.00 to sort it although they confirmed once stripped back the rust had spread from the area around the number plate fixing points.
Hearing tales about Kia customer service I didnt even bother them for this and just paid to have it sorted out by a repair agent I trust...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts