Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,HAS ANYONE HAD A PROBLEM WITH A SORENTO THAT SMOKES BAD WHEN YOU LEAVE THE CAR ON IDLE, WHEN IT IS COLD FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME AND WHEN YOU PULL AWAY THERE IS A LOT OF LIGHT BLUE SMOKE UNTILL THE ENGINE GETS WARM THEN IT IS OK. IT DOES NOT USE ANY OIL OR WATER, ALSO I HAVE PUT A FUEL CLEANER THROUGH THE SYSTEM BUT THE FAULT IS JUST THE SAME. IT IS A 2005 MODEL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI SAMMY,ITHANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, YES IT HAS JUST HAD A FULL SERVICE IT ONLY SMOKES WHEN YOU LEAVE IT RUNNING WHEN IT IS COLD FOR FIVE TO TEN MINUTES WHILE IT DEFROSTS AND WHEN YOU PULL AWAY THERE IS A LIGHT BLUE HAZE FOR ABOUT 800 YARDS AND THEN IT IS OK. WHEN ITS HOT THERE IS NO PROBLEM AT ALL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't worry this is normal. I have a 2005 Sorento EX with 30,000 kms. I have noticed this phenomenon with mine also. It does state in the owners manual not to idle the engine for long periods when cold. This is because the pistons in the engine are slightly oval in shape when cold and it is not until the engine is up to working temperature that they become fully round and fit perfeclty inside the cylinders. So when the engine is cold a little oil will pass into the combustion chamber and if left to idle for long periods this oil will not burn off completely. So when you drive away you will see a plume of blue smoke, this should clear within a couple of seconds of normal driving. My advice is to do what I do and that is to start the engine, idle for a max of 1 minute to allow the oil to circulate around the engine and then drive off normally but do not exceed 2000 RPM until the engine is warm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts