Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just sold my 2009 Sorento and bought a new Soul Hunter.

Whilst I personally had absolutely no problems with my Sorento my business partner bought one which always seemed OK which is why I bought mine. His was 7(?) years old and he took it to the garage for an MOT. They 'phoned him up and said "better come and look". The chassis had totally rusted through and it is a worthless write-off. I mentioned this to a friend who said "Yes, my mate's Sorento engine fell through onto the floor due to rust". I can't substantiate the latter.

At least my new Soul has a very long rust guarantee.

·
Registered
101 Posts
indeed this is true.my sorento is the worst vehicle i every owned in the 25+ years i own vehicles if talking about rust!

have a look at;
rear door inner panels
rear wheel fenders where those rear door panels covering when the door is closed
rear axle
rear hatch around the rear license plate
engine oil sump
automatic transmission oil sump
front bar behind the bumper
the paint is very thin with no good undercoat, smallest scratch changes is rust
chassis in general

airco tubes behind front bumper

oh, for pictures;http://www.bit4net.com/images/sorento/

Edited by: bitman

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Well mine iscompletelythe opposite.2004 owned from new no rust whatsoever,not one oil leak.Previouslyhad a discovery from new,oil leaks from the day i had it ,new transfer gearbox 6 days old ,new main gearbox at 32,000 then turbo.BY 35,000 crankshaft output seal leaking,front diff seals leaking and wherever you looked there was rust, so p/x for Sorento at £12,000 less than i paid for Disco. So in my opinion the Sorento isexcellent.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Based on this post, I think I might take some preventative steps to stp rust getting bad. I've got a bit around the rear doors which I hadnt noticed until I saw this post so I'll treat that before it gets like in the pics!
Might look at undersealing the car aswell. Thoughts?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Matt D said:
Based on this post, I think I might take some preventative steps to stp rust getting bad. I've got a bit around the rear doors which I hadnt noticed until I saw this post so I'll treat that before it gets like in the pics!

The rust in rear door is actualy the steel strip that gives stiffness to the lower door plastic trims thease can be drilled out and new ones fitted i think from factory they only had a coat of standard paint no rust protection and this area is a dirt trap . clean it regular and coat in grease.

have heard of a steel beam at the back of some sorentos haveing rust issues but never seen one personaly.

sumps yes they do corrode on the outside but considering they hold oil its unlikey they will be come an issue as for an engine dropping out LOL they sit on massive rubber mounts attached to 1/4" steel chassis suspose they are like any other 4x4 depends what they have been used for and how they were treated living down here on the coast i see lots dragging boats out of the sea with rear wheels fully submerged in sea water

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I live very close to Kia dealer and i have never seen a Sorento in the state of those pictures,looks as that it has had a far from normal life.The steel beam i presume is the one which i removed and replaced as a part of the integral towbar.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Viking Paul said:
Matt D said:

sumps yes they do corrode on the outside but considering they hold oil its unlikey they will be come an issue

notcompletelytrue as mine (autobox sump) started leaking and i know another sorento driver how lost engine oil due leaking engine sump...

and mine didn't touch any sea water ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Totally Agreed my 2004 Kia looks great inside and outside but the undercarriage frame is all rusted. Waste of money. Its unfortunately that this car companies use cheap materials for an important part of the car. The tension rod looks awful. Keep an eye of the undercarriage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi took my 07 to dealer for recall on back axle, they said it was the worst they had seen. They took photos and sent them to Kia, got phone call back within a week and they are changing the whole back axle. Took car to car wash thus am and found some idiot has nicked the front headlight washer. So I will be asking dealer to fit a new one. Have noticed some rust on rear doors and tailgate.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 Sorento. It has rusted by the key area in the cage door. I have had it repaired 3 times by qualified car restorers. My last time, the painter told me that it was a waste of time as there is no insulation between the panels of the cage door. TThe opening and closing causes impact cracks. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
My 1977 Landrover 3 series had a chassis made out of steel on a par with compressed cardboard. You would have thought manufacturers would have got the idea of how to build cars 30 years later.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've got an 03 Sorento XS and the only rust I've ever noticed is the tatty door lining strips, corroded fuel pipes and some bubbling around the high level brake light. The wheel arches etc. look good by 11 year old car standards. Underbody-wise, I'm taking it to Kia soon to have the rear axle checked but a chap who was underneath it a few weeks ago said it looked like it'd already been done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts