Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 33k kx3 2.2 diesel and when accelerating on motorway the revs can sometime jump to 5k then about 2 seconds later turbo kicks in, its seems fairly random at the moment and not sure if its clutch or turbo , trying to figure out before too long from pickup and it becomes my problem.

I'm not convinced this is always when accelerating or just motorway as I've only had car 3 days

Just dosent seem normal

Thanks

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
If engine rpm increases without a corresponding increase in road speed then there is slip somewhere in the drive train and clutch would be favourite.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it seems intermittent which is a real pain - any way of troubleshooting , as I want to be fairly certain before contacting dealership, thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi.

Can I just clarify something:

What do you mean when you say '....about 2 seconds later turbo kicks in...'. What are the physical symptoms that make you describe it in this way..??

Regards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it's difficult to recreate at will, but seems from my testing to affect higher gears (motorway cruising) when accelerating(doesn't have to be hard) in 5th /6th the revs go up with no corresponding acceleration then within 2 seconds the revs drop back down and car then accelerates (assumed this was turbo but not sure). If I was to describe its almost like your depressing the clutch while cruising down the road - and I think this description probably answers the question.....

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I’m bound to say that I think you need look no further than post #2 for your answer. If you are unable to accurately identify the source of the problem yourself, then let a professional examine the vehicle but clutch replacement does seem the most likely requirement.

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
#2 has it.
Manual or Auto?
If manual, could it be foot slightly resting on clutch pedal?

·
Super Moderator
2,768 Posts
it's difficult to recreate at will, but seems from my testing to affect higher gears (motorway cruising) when accelerating(doesn't have to be hard) in 5th /6th the revs go up with no corresponding acceleration then within 2 seconds the revs drop back down and car then accelerates (assumed this was turbo but not sure). If I was to describe its almost like your depressing the clutch while cruising down the road - and I think this description probably answers the question.....
Just to clear this up.
Are you the OP?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to clear this up.
Are you the OP?
yes I am - not sure why my image changed
will get the car flagged with the dealer and will log using an OBD2 that way should be able to spot the spikes and have some sort of proof, suspect it is the clutch

·
Registered
4 Posts
If this is a manual and the revs jump when you put your foot down in a higher gear before settling, your clutch / DMF need replacing.
My 2019 KX-3 manual started doing this at about 3,000 miles from new.
Brand new clutch and DMF fitted under warranty - now at 10,000 and no issues so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What was the speed when this happened ? I had an experience where my speed stuck at 80km/h and it could not go up no matter what I did. Found out later that the turbo actuator / switch malfunction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts