Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Just spent my first week with our dieselSorento XSE auto and I'm delighted so far. It's a 2005, one owner car with just 28k miles and its main job will be to act as tug for the caravan.I confess I crawled all over this forum before buying, to see what faults are typical - not many, it seems. So far, I've only discovered a dodgy seat switch (lack of use?) and a deranged clock - when you switch on, it's always 2.17. Not much to worry the dealer there.
First impressions? Carved from solid; surprisingly comfortable seats; quite brisk on the road - though my engine seems a bit "stiff"; ride a bit bouncy but nowhere as roly-poly as some people complain of. I think it may be a "keeper."

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,209 Posts
Hi DavidB and welcome to the forum. Glad you checked out here before buying as there is a lot of experience and knowledge availiable. At least the clock will be the right time twice a day......

Phil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Phil. The clock's an odd one. It comes on at 2.17 (occasionally 1.17) then runs normally. If you put it right, it stays right until the ignition has been off for several hours. Having come from a succession of Renaults, I'm used to weird electrical faults but this is a new one on me.............

·
Registered
536 Posts
Humm 2.17....firstly check you don't live in the bermuda triangle...them check the bible too see what that says (it could be a sign!) if you don't get anywhere after that....disconnect the battery and see if that clears it. If you can live with it though I would leave it. If not... Can't see it being a costly part £20 or there abouts max.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know Kirkcudbrightshire is a bit remote but I don't think it's in the Bermuda Triangle. If it is, the Bermudanweather isn't all it's cracked up to be...................Apparently there was a large batch of clocks with duff chips in 04 and 05. The dealer is surprised mine hasn't been changed before. As you say, Richie, it's a cheap fix but I'd rather it came out of the dealer's pocket than mine. If that's the extent of the car's faults, I''ll be well pleased.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Having had a Renault Laguna I know what you mean by their electrical faults, my last car was a Ford 2.0 Tdci C-max Ghiawith an electronic hand break, I towed a caravan with it for a year before I gave up on the stupid hand break. The Sorento is a great tow car you just feel so in control it makes it a joy to drive.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The electronic handbrake is one of the things I'm most missing about my old Vel Satis. After 7 years and 110k miles, I'm a complete convert. Never had any bother with it. I do think they work best in conjunction with an auto gearbox, though.NowI keep wondering why the car doesn't move off when I open the throttle................

·
Registered
249 Posts
My Ford was a manual and you could only release the handbrake when the clutch was fully down so on a steep hill you rolled back a foot or so, very unsatisfactory. I can see it would be OK with an automatic and the better ones even had auto release when you moved forward but not on the Ford.

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts