Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all, can anyone tell me the average MPG they are getting on the new model KX2 ? On a run and more important around town. Also if anyone has any towing info regards MPG that would be useful.
We have a single axle 1500kg caravan.
Regards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. Had my KX2 manual since November.Just over 2000 miles so far.
Most of the timeI only do a short 5 mile town trip to the office and back, get around 27 MPG. The last longer motorway trip got me up to 37 MPG *but* I hadn't refuelled so the average was pulled down by the short trips. One occasion soon after buying the car I did refuel before a long tripI notedI was getting over 40 MPG.

Seems about right to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
YesterdayI did a 250 mile round trip to the west midlands.

By the time I got back, the trip meter was showing an average fuel consumption of 49mpg.

On refilling the tank, actual consumption 36.3mpg, obviously the trip meter is garbage and a

complete waste of space.

Steve W

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi. I have a new KX3 Sorento. I find the fuel consumption is very poor, I do a lot of short trips under 5 miles and struggle to get mid 20's
. Also the thing I find very annoying is that the consumption indicator resets itself when you refuel so its not possible to travel for say 1000 miles and see the average consumption, or am I missing something?
. Can this be programmed not to happen?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Geoff
Re your consumption,I am checking mine via the Fuel consumption Indicator(FCI) and also by using the tank to tank method. I must say that I am getting on average 36+ across all journeys. Having said that I have just returned home towing my caravan 105 miles in 2hrs 30 Mins,so sticking to the speed limits but not holding the traffic up ,I got 26 MPG on the (FCI). I will fill up latter this week and see what the Tank to Tank figure is.
Re the resetting of the FCI it is annoying,I have not enquired regarding ammending the software,HAS ANYONE ELSE ???
Regards Barry

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Barry, thanks for your post, KIA checked my car over today and found nothing wrong, suggested I check it tank to tank as the FCI is only an indicator and to date I have only covered 900 miles.During May I have a trip to Manchester and a trip to Scotland planned so will put some 1300 miles on. Hopefully MPG will improve greatly and I will post again at end of May.
Cheers, Geoff

·
Registered
12 Posts
We now have well over 1400 miles on KX3 (manual) and have towed our 14 year old caravan (1750kg) twice, getting combined mileage of 29 first run and 34 yesterday. The Sorento coped with a muddy and very soggycaravan field, pulling the caravan out equally as well as our previous 3 Troopers and 2 Rextons. I was slightly apprehensive as the tyres look to be more road going than previous towcars.On the motorway he towed in 6th gear, but on the A roadsit kepttelling him to change up to 6th. Having had two autos, a Trooper in 2000 (it was up and down the box every other catseye) and the last Rexton for 5 years, he says he finds this a joy to drive even though it's not auto. I have only driven it a few times, but I like driving it, but Ihaven't towed with it yet, I don't find the clutch any heavier than my Cee'd SW, which has been a problem for me in the past, that's why we had had 2 auto's, it's comfortable, but would have liked more adjustability on the passengers seat, like my Cee'd has.
Solo maximum miles to gallonis 42, this includes A roads and motorways, I can't see the speedo from the passenger's seat !!!! (same as my Cee'd) so it was 'what speed are we doing?' oh nearly 80, didn't realise he says !!!! (Solo I must add)
Now for the 'moans',a few annoying niggles, CD and radio has not worked since he collected it, nor bluetooth, a crackle like a 'CB radio' occurs every now and then whilst driving...even though the radio is not switchedon.Oh and a nasty smell (which a fellow caravanner says could be the 'cat' on the exhaust) it'svile and fills the cabin for several minutes ofany journey.

So it's going in next week before we're off caravanning again.

Apart from that.... we both love our Kia's.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there you say you have a smell in the cabin, is that with the heater on. or off? I get a strange smell in the cabin of my KX2 its only done 700 miles and we have noticed it from the day after we collected it. Its worse with the heating on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello All,I get that smell as well and think it must be the CAT seems OK once the engine warms up.
I didstruggleto get the bluetooth connected but seems fine now, just make sure the B/T onyourphone is turned on before you get near the car, my phone is a Galaxy Ace. My son has an
Iphone and using the lead supplied with the car he could control theon-boardsystem from his phone straight away I have made a short lead to connect my phone to the Jack and USB sockets in the car and can nowchargeand play music from my phone. Hope this helps.
Geoff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just returned from our Kia Dealer at Burntwood and were told by the salesman who met us in the car park prior to collecting the Sorento that the 'obnoxious smell' is the diesel particulate filter 'burning and cleaning' itself and should last for about 500 miles.... my husband's reply was well I've done over 1400 miles, it should have gone then by now!!! and having spoken to the service department this is ALWAYS going to occur... funny how this is not mentioned when you buy one... the smell really is vile, I thought it was going to catch fire the first time,
and strangely this does not and hasn't occurred on my Kia Cee'd, even though that has a diesel paticulate filter, but the service department cannot explain this to me as it is too complicated with -'s and +'s involved in it's set up.
A new radio unit has been ordered as it hasn't worked from collecting it. I didask why the p.d.i. did not find this problem and the servicegirl againquestioned whenthe radio hadstopped working with 'attitude' in her voice, when I again said it had never worked !!!! (as if they don't believe us, we can travel all the way to Scotland with out the radio on)
The 'rattle' on the passengers side was a 'door spacer' that needed to be adjusted.

When we took the vehicle in at 8.15am we were asked if we would like it washed and vac'd, I said no need to clean the inside as we have a dog, but we would like it washed please. Phone call to collect it at 11.45... it's ready, we collected it at 2.30pm and it was as filthy as it was when we took it in..... the service department's reason... oh it's the cleaning man's day off.

On the 'thank you card' we've enjoyed caring for your Kia which was hanging from the mirror quotes 'family-like care'.... Oh really !!!!!!!

Edited by: wenowbothhaveKias

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just returned from myManchesterand Scotland trips and now have done approx. 2500 miles. Have drivencarefully doing 70 mph on motorways and within speed limits on other roads plus some 15 miles down farm tracks sometimes having to use the hill decent control. The FCIreckons 34.5 mpgand I calculate using tank2tank 35.5 mpg. I expected better when I purchased the KX3 Auto but after reading some recent press and the waymanufacturesobtaintheir figures I don't think I will improve the mpg short of going at 60 mph on motorways and 50 or less on major roads which in this day and age is not practical. No other problems to date and KIA have confirmed the FCI resetting function cannot be changed
. On another point I have found the Sat Nav has errors, on oneoccasiontrying to send me down a one way street the wrong way in Maldon Essex and on another trying to take me down a jetty when going to London City Airport, good job I took the road sign route!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2010 KX3 with 24500 miles on the clock. I have been averaging 31.75 mpg as measured over last 17092 miles. Max mpg 36.77 min 28.69. (logged on a phone app).

Most of my driving is motorway with about 20% country lanes.

Speaking to Kia they won't look into it till they have carried out there own test of driving it at 60mph for 60 miles.

Planning on doing this as feel that the car should be doing better than this.

Will keep all up to date.

Andy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi ,we have a KX2 manual with nearly 3k on the clocks, we now have a twin axle van 1750kgand got an average of 28mpg on A roads and dual carrageways at the weekend with the van on. I can accept that as the van is 26ft long and it was windy. I normally get around 31-32 around town.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,Just returned from 500 mile plus trip Essex to North West and return with 4 on board
and have averageconsumption of 37 mpg. I now have about 5500 miles on clock so
fuel consumption has improved, getting 31mpg locally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I have a Kx2 manual and have found that going round town I average approx 36mpg. When going to Manchester the trip indicated 52.2mpg, on return journey it was 53.2mpg. This was normal road and motorway driving. The cruise control was set at 57mph on normal roads and 68mph on motorway. This kept the engine revs below 2000rpm. I also tow a Coachman caravan and tow between 24mpg and 29.2mpg again using the cruise control. So overall very pleased.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.