Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Sorry to have to tell you but youwon't get near the advertised figure, no one does. They are not Kia figures, they are obtained in a lab. The following is an extract from the Honest John Web Site which explains it better than I ever can.
The prescribed EC test is a lab test carried out to simulate a mix of different types of driving and arrive at ""˜combined' CO2 emission and fuel consumption figures.

Because vehicle taxation in Europe is now based on CO2 emissions, manufacturers naturally optimise their engines to achieve the lowest possible CO2 in the tests.

This gives a correspondingly low fuel consumption figure. Unfortunately the relevant EC Directives prescribe that this figure and only this figure can be publicised by manufacturers, even though it is unlikely to be achieved by the average driver in real life conditions.<h3>Imperial urban fuel consumption (mpg) (cold)</h3>

The urban test cycle is carried out in a laboratory at an ambient temperature of twenty degrees celsius to thirty degrees celsius on a rolling road from a cold start, ie the engine has not run for several hours. The cycle consists of a series of accelerations, steady speeds, decelerations and idling. Maximum speed is 31 mph (50 km/h), average speed 12 mph (19 km/h) and the distance covered is 2.5 miles (4 km).<h3>Imperial extra-urban fuel consumption (mpg)</h3>

The extra-urban cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists roughly half steady speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km).<h3>Imperial combined fuel consumption (mpg)</h3>

The combined figure presented is for the urban and the extra-urban cycle together. It is therefore an average of the two other parts of the fuel consumption test, urban and extra-urban cycles, weighted by the distance covered in each part.
This affects all manufacturers not just Kia.

Paul

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Edward,
As a previous owner with the Xs model i was able to achieve 26mpg rural and 31/32 on a long run.

Your model should be slightly better than this as you will be driving mostly in 2wd and save a little on fuel.

Check tyre pressures, and i presume it has been serviced and filters changed....it is a 2.5 ton machine after all...what returns are you getting and how heavy is the right foot.

Mine was a manual, the auto will use around 10% more

Taff

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here are a few owners comments regarding the mpg;

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">just completed 1500 miles in my KX3 auto, averagage fuel consumption reads 24.9mpg. Now

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">.........................................

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">
<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">twrch I have a KX3 Auto I have only done one long run since purchasing the vehicle and I achieved just over 40 mpg.I am happy to sit at around 55 mph and use cruise control as much as possible as you see I do not have a heavy right foot which makes all the difference as the vehicle becomes run in I expect to improve on the mpg.

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">..............................................

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">
<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">My KX2 manual is giving me around 38mpg running the 7 miles to and from work each day, plus general running around which generally are not long journeys, I have a heavy foot...! So all in all I'm please with my mpg.
Currently I have 6800 miles on the clock so once I get up to 10k that should improve.

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">My KX2 Auto has 15000 miles on the clock. It runs at 35mpg overall and on a decent motorway run at 65mph turns in 48 mpg, with a PowerBox from Taff fitted

<DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; OVERFLOW: ; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: #000000; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; : transparent; TEXT-ALIGN: left; TEXT-DECORATION: none">Taff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts