Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,. I've had my 2019 Sorento GT Line S for just over a year now. When I purchased it I requested the fitting of a tow bar and 13pin electrics. I've since towed my caravan a few times and noticed the caravan fridge isn't being powered sufficiently if at all.

I read a What Car tow car awards supplement and saw that the Sorento was marked down for not having fridge/battery wiring.

I just wondered what other owners have done to resolve this?

You could probably get away with this issue on short UK trips but I take the caravan all over Europe.

Thanks in advance for any tips or guidance

James

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
There is the main harness for road lighting and the axillary one for the fridge and ATC. If you have a test meter you can check if it has been wired up. Pins 10 positive&11negative earth is fridge live with engine running. Pins 9 pisitive&13 negative earth permanent live at all times. If you have no voltage on these it has not been wired up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I aware this is an old thread
Just had a towbar and dedicated wiring loom fitted for a 2019 sorento kx3 which isnt working as it should.
Plug the caravan in = nothing
Remove the fuse aand refit = works :)
switch off and lock the car , 5 mins later unlock the car = nothing
Im now on my 3rd module and 5 visits by the fitters to sort,
Any ideas anyone

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
I presume the fuse you remove is the power supply to the module. When you switch on ignition this should become live straight away. Where has the supply been taken from.Is it road lights/indicators not working or fridge.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Is your caravan a Swift? I don't know for certain but I've read that some Swift caravans need an extra module fitted to the caravan electrics that are car specific. I believe their electronics supplier is a company called Sargent Electrical.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for your reply's
You were correct about the supply to the module. The power supply as been changed and is now straight off the battery (with fuses). Everything not working but once you get it to work no problem until you leave the car and come back to it or reconnect then nothing. No its not a Swift its a Sterling but that doesnt matter because it doing the same with the fitter test box , he tells me the next step is to see if its the CANbus which I have no idea about.
I have had no luck in finding anyone else with a simular problem

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
Sterling is Swift made so the same electric wiring. Your motor will have a smart alternator. When caravan connected start engine then put headlights on to get the alternator to kick in as the problem likely to be too lower voltage. When alternator kicks in you should have 14.2 volts. Depending on age of your caravan the later years have LED road lights and several makes cars need a VLM box fitted inside the caravan wiring in order for the road lights to function correctly. If it is an older caravan with bulbs then no problem.
PS if run straight from battery with no relay to switch on when ignition turned on the battery will run down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thats a good point about the battery running down, the van as bulbs not leds (2008) .
Not sure about low voltage.
If the van is connected to the car and you unlock the car the lights come on for a short while, if its working the light on the van also come on before starting the car
starting the car it all works fine
lock the car and unlock within 2 minutes and it will work
lock the car and wait 5 mins, and it will not work, to get it working you need to remove the fuse and reinstall to get it working

all this is done with the lights on the car not running the engine

hope that makes sence

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
This is a queer one. I have fitted and wired up lots towbars for 48 years, and never had this situation. Looks as though it is a lighting timer problem. Without the caravan connected does the same thing happen with the cars lights going off. Have you fitted a relay for the feed from the battery as this should act the same switching supply as removing the fuse. Just thinking about this I presume you have stop start. This may be causing the problem. What happens if you switch this off. If the engine is not running I can see this is perhaps happening to conserve battery for stop start. I have presumed that the Can bus wires are correct

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is a queer one , I think thats what the 2 guys who have looked at it are saying , the can bus is the next thing to look at , i believe they plan to run it from the front of the car not at the rear nearside wheel arch
If you unlock the car the lights come on interior light etc , think its called entry lighting
This problem will also do it on the fitters test equipment not just the van

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
The Canbus wires should be connected to the green and orange wires on the Canbus connector. Up to 2019 on 30 pin connector. 2019 onwards on 32 pin connector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts