Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Had the front prop drop at the transfer box at the weekend, snapped at the U/V joint, not very nice when you doing 60 towing a van at the time. I've removed the offending article which has whipped round and done some "not to serious damage". I,m currently running on 2 wheel drive. Q1 am i safe enough on 2 wheel drive with the weight of the car not cause any damage to my transmission system. Q2 I'm slightly reluctant to just attach a new prop "when i get one " to the transfer box, ie the potential for the transfer box to be knackered. What are the odds. Q3 Anyone got any contacts or links other than ebay for a front prop 2.5 CDI XS (Auto) 4 bolt to transfer 6 bolt to wheel drive

I feel a little sad but on the other hand quite lucky i manage to get away with it by the looks.

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
sorry to hear what happened to you. I have heard of this happening. I posted a questoneon this and had no reply, I wanted to know if there was any warning before it came off. It seems the answer could well be no.I to tow a caravan. I am not sure about runing on two wheel drive but I think you would be ok, as it runs on two wheel drive until four wheel is required automaticly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did hear a clunk under the car but at 60mph and on a dual carriageway with heavy traffic i thought this was a stone, more fool me. (must have been a chunk of metal fragmenting off the u/v) If i know now then what i know now.....Some 5 -6 miles down the road - bang. Like a gun going off obviously the end of the prop actually like a propellor, spotted today was the amount of damage done to the passanger footwell - gunna take some knocking back i'll tella ya. But hey it could have been a lot worse. - looking for a new prop if ya know nyone, he he - ya have to laugh

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanks for that if i hear anything like I'll stop and check. good luck in hunting for a prop, try ebay or on line car breakers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, bought mine last april on ebay at 90 pounds including postage cost
, it's a bit difficult to find for xs , had to wait at least 4 months to found one. Dealer's price are too expensive 900 pounds fitted
. Had to drive my sorento on 2 wheel drive last winter and my sorento is skidding and spins on snow, lucky i did not hit any

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Folks do a search in this section about front prop shafts and transfere boxes.
You will find a lot was known about this?

Bob.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All.

I bought a Sorento 2.5 CRD about five months ago with 90,000 on the clock.

After reading about the front prop failing and doing all kinds of damage as it flails about

decided to get mine checked out.

Took it to my local indi garage and explained the problem, after about 45 mins he had it back on

the car with a bit more grease in than it had before, all looked OK but well worth £20 to

get it checked out, at least now it will not fail due to lack of grease.

One less thing to worry about.

Regards

TelfordPaul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi All.

Had a look at the front prop shaft on ebay and it looks as though there is a major difference between

the XE and XS models.

The one on ebay has a four stud fixing and a U-J at each end.

Mine is an XS model and has a four stud fixing and a U-J at the transfer box end, and a six stud

fixing with a CV at the diff end.

If you buy one make sure it is the right one.

Regards

TelfordPaul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok....

Good news to all you guys out there who think its the end of the word when this sort of thing happens

Found the biggest propshaft manufacturer and repairer in the uk only 7 miles from my house, came highly recommended and having the propshaft re sleeved - new end with universal joint and balancing for less than £200.

Bargain - Something just not right buying a second hand one for £300 off ebay - you dont get any warranty or peace of mind it aint gunna fail in weeks of buying it.

Thanks for all the hel.

Any one wants the number theyy are Prop Shaft Technology in Rotherham South Yorkshire 01709 382422 - ask for Dave (very Helpful chap)

Save you a small fortune

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have a 2004 auto xs and last week the front prop went, prior to it going for about 5 days, when driving I have a lot of vibrations through the car and steering wheel, then bang it went.

Now my auto box cannot get into low manually, it seems to drive in auto ok, but shifting the gears manually causes problems as mentioned I cannot move it all the way down into low...any ideas?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Which end of prop went, if it was gearbox end is there any gearbox casedamage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im not mech minded, however believe it was the front ps that went.

They never advised of damage elsewhere.

When shifting into d for drive, its now between the d and the next one down, and its actually the last gear (low) which I cannot now move into.

But driving all seems ok.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
So i presume you have a 4 speed box and not 5 speed tiptronic, if so adjusting instructions

Edited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Adjustment gearshift to position 8 will need checking.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts