Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you guys out there can help with this.

I've owned my 56 Sorento for a couple of years.

About a year ago, she started to play up. Indicators randomised sometimes both some times right sometimes left. Went back to the dealers who wanted to charge me around £200 when they eventually diagnosed a poor earth connection - anyway I wasnt having any of that so they did do under warranty. This seemed to be remedied fully

Now (yesterday) the remote door lock doesn't work and both all indicators lights stay on when the ignition is on. Blinkerrelay seems not to work and neither does the hazard flasher. Evrything else seems OK.

Has anyone experienced this sort of thing before?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Try disconnect battery for couple of minutes the re-connect seems to solve a lot of Sorento problems.The last problem i had was remote would not lock/unlock doors ,disconnected battery ,cured it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think i may be able to help you on this one. I have had exactly the same problem on my 2005 sorrento. Turns out kia know about this problem and contacted their service centers in 2009 to inform them. There are two connectors under the coolant bottle one of these carries the signals to the ETACS unit that controls the operation of the alarm system, central locking, indicators etc. If you pull the connectors apart you will probably find water in the connector. If you dry this out you will find the system should return to normal. If your remote control still will not work it will probably need to be reprogrammed PM me if this is the case and i will try to point you to the link to do this. Just a thought when trying to dry out the connector be careful as the male pins are very brittle and can easily snap off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dear All

Thanks for the help. I tried the easiest solution first and disconnected the battery which didn't work, the second easiest thing was to try to clean contacts.Unplugged contact block - sprayed in contact cleaner and left to dry. Reassembled and works fine. So nice one
- thanks - doubtlessly saved me a few quidand Kia, thanks for the brilliant design which has electrical contacts and relays directly under the coolant bottle.

Regards

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Folks with the connector block I would suggest taking the connector apart and filling with petroleum jell before reconnecting them, should keep them clean & free from corrosion.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a kia carens 2008 diesal, the engine manage light come on i service the car, put cat cleaner in fule tanke, still the light on, some times flashing, some times stay on. can some one help me and tell me what it i.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Mickycue said:
Hi guys sorento 2.5 crdi 2005 Air con blower heater controls ect all stopped working any ideas thanks mickycue

The most common fault is the speed control resistor mounted in the blower casing behind the glove box goes, but that usually leaves you with just top speed, so fuse also needs checking.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
seiawash said:
i have a kia carens 2008 diesal, the engine manage light come on i service the car, put cat cleaner in fule tanke, still the light on, some times flashing, some times stay on. can some one help me and tell me what it i.

You need to plug a code reader in and see what fault code number comes up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same issue with my Sorento XT with the indicator lights staying on after ignition key being switched on and car started.

Drove home looking like something from close encounters!
It appears to be the control unit, guys at my local Kia dealership say the same.
Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
First of all check the connectors under the water top up/ expansion bottle.These are a common cause of your problem, getting damp in them.Disconnect dry with an hair dryer and reconnect.Then if problem cured put some plastic over to stop any more water getting in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
David Sims said:
I think i may be able to help you on this one. I have had exactly the same problem on my 2005 sorrento. Turns out kia know about this problem and contacted their service centers in 2009 to inform them. There are two connectors under the coolant bottle one of these carries the signals to the ETACS unit that controls the operation of the alarm system, central locking, indicators etc. If you pull the connectors apart you will probably find water in the connector. If you dry this out you will find the system should return to normal. If your remote control still will not work it will probably need to be reprogrammed PM me if this is the case and i will try to point you to the link to do this. Just a thought when trying to dry out the connector be careful as the male pins are very brittle and can easily snap off.

Hmm I have recently purchased a 2005 Sorento and am having the central locking problems mentioned. Funnily enough they started after I topped up the coolant bottle - I think I will siphon out some of the fluid to the minimum mark and see if, once the contacts are dried, it solves the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.