Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I thought I would post this to help others, It may give you some idea's of possible causes as to why the Sorento cut's out.

I just bought an 04 model 2.5 l deisel from a local dealer had it a week and it cut out completly while I was on a dual carriagway.To cut a long story short it's been in the garage for a week just got it back tonight.The problem was a gasket seal on the uplift from the fuel tank the rubber was breaking down and tiny particles were getting into the fuel line they cleared and cleaned out the tank and fuel lines and replaced the seal/washer so hopefully it should be ok.Better still it didn't cost me as I only had it a week.I didn't buy the warrenty they offered I didn't think it was value for money !!!!

Andy

·
Registered
437 Posts
Not the seal mate, its the tank liner, they only told you that because they probably were not sure them selves. Might happen again soon if so the fuel filter will need replacing too if it was not changed at the same time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's involved with changing the fuel filter cost wise, any ideas.? I would be better changing it now rather than wait for another breakdown.

Ta
Any

·
Registered
437 Posts
About £50/£60, very easy job but depends on labour rate of garage hand how long they say it takes.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hope they are right because loads of other people have had particles in the uplift, but they are in fact coming from the fuel tank lining itself breaking down. There is a sprayed on substance blue in colour on the inside of the tank, in cars of this age it starts to peal off then gets collected by the lift where it builds up inside the lift cassette until it eventually blocks the gauze filter then the engine cuts out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mY 05 SORENTO has this same problem intermitenly sinceMAY this year we were nearly written off on the motorway overtaking a lorry when the car cut out - steering went heavy and just managed to roll into hard shoulderwith other Irate drivers wondering what the hell I was doing!. After certain trips to different garages and me following instruction from forum members to take the sender unit out and check out the contamination myself there is definitly peeling paint in my tank - I have now written to kia - this seems to be a VERY DANGEROUS defect that must be acknowledged - I dont think the problem is being diagnosed quick enough by any of the garages (even KIA MAIN DEALER)

will keep you informed whether I get a response from KIA - everyone needs to bombard them with complaints if this is happening
I also want to bring it to public attention wheres the best place to complain to?

·
Registered
187 Posts
You still have rights regardless of warranty, as you have just bought the car. Contact trading standards for advice if dealer does not sort out.

Was this a kia dealer, franchise dealer of any make or just a local dealer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know when Kia started using a linning in their fuel tanks and does this problem occurr in any other Kia models, i.e. Stortage ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
mick j said:
mY 05 SORENTO has this same problem intermitenly sinceMAY this year we were nearly written off on the motorway overtaking a lorry when the car cut out - steering went heavy and just managed to roll into hard shoulderwith other Irate drivers wondering what the hell I was doing!. After certain trips to different garages and me following instruction from forum members to take the sender unit out and check out the contamination myself there is definitly peeling paint in my tank - I have now written to kia - this seems to be a VERY DANGEROUS defect that must be acknowledged - I dont think the problem is being diagnosed quick enough by any of the garages (even KIA MAIN DEALER)

will keep you informed whether I get a response from KIA - everyone needs to bombard them with complaints if this is happening
I also want to bring it to public attention wheres the best place to complain to?

Have been offered the replacement parts by KIA - BUT THEY WONT PAY THE LABOUR which is apparently £600 - wont let any other garage quote either.

I have found this link to complain to VOSA as I believe this is a dangerous fault that KIA donot seem to be taking serious enough

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/onlineservices/vehicledefects.htm

·
Registered
14 Posts
My garage have today quoted me £1080 inc to change tank and sender unit because of the same problem, the labour was only about £90 of that quote.

Haven't spoken to them about FOC work but may write to Kia as I had a similar problem with engine cutting out during overtaking!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Get hold of customer services first, they are now even on this forum so shout loud enough and they will respond. They know of the tank lining problem and when overtaking (booting the throttle) thats when it cuts out and is the main symptom you will get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had the same problem myself with a 55 plate Sorento XT.Contacted KIA customer services by email and they rang me back a day later offering support to fix the problem.
I went to my local KIA dealers, I actually bought the car from a non KIA dealer originally, but the KIA dealers have booked it in for a new tank, tank filter and code reset FOC
They suggest also new lines, new engine fuel filter and injector cleaning which they want to charge for.. Think I will see how it goes first

regards

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts