Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you folks out there can help me with this.
I run a 2015 Sorento KX2 and yesterday I had trouble driving up a grass embankment from out allotment.
A couple of kind gents came to push and one commented that only the front wheels were turning.
On the dash (right hand side) I pressed what I thought was a lock button for the AWD. The button showed a simple graphic of the 4 wheels and when pressed with an X showing. Again only the front wheels turned.
I then also pressed the ESC off button ((a car skidding symbol).
Despite trying these 2 in combinations of eachother only the front wheels would turn.
Should I take it to the dealer to have the AWD checked or am I in my stupidity missing something?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you I thought that something was amiss.
Yes, thankfully still under warranty ......

·
Registered
530 Posts
DO you swap the tyres/wheels from front to back on a regular basis?

If the fronts are more worn than the rears, the clutches can engage on the road (they think the fronts are slipping). THat can wear them out quickly. And in the worst case, overheat the box.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tyres were checked at the last service in late february and were 7mm front and 8mm rear.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
On your model you need best on front. As it is the other way round it has likely be causing the rear diff clutch to engage more often and could have caused wear.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I take what you say for future reference however as new tyres have a tread depth of 9mm all 4 of mine are very close to being new.

·
Registered
530 Posts
So you've had some new tyres recently. Were the tyres/wheels swapped around from time to time on the previous set(s) of tyres?

I know its a pain, but it really is important.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well folks I took the car into the dealers last friday and were told that when it was connected to the computer no faults were found.
When I asked why the front wheels were spinning and yet the rear remained stationary, no answer could be given.
Does any one know if there is anyway of actually checking the AWD works for example in a garage?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here it is in action:

That's a pretty crap response from a dealer. I'd try a different one once things reopen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is there anyway mechanically that can be used to check that the AWD is actually working without getting stranded on a hill or such?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If you really want to test it and you have a towbar fitted. Find some grass and a good solid anchorage.point. Anchor tow bar up with strong rope or chain and try to pull away. This will prove which wheels are trying to drive, ie skidding.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for the delay in replying.
Thanks for the tip Birdman. When things are back to normal I will give your suggestion a try.
Keep safe everyone

1 - 15 of 15 Posts