Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The diesel Sorento was awarded the prestigeous title'Towcar of the Year' by the Caravan Club in 2004. There are many Sorento towcars about as it is a generally very reliable car and a very good towcar at anaffordable and realistic price.

BUT BEWARE: towingappears to put a strain on the manual gearbox to the point of failing suddenly and without prior warning. KIA will replace the gearbox under warranty, but once this has expired they will tell you 'that it is one of those things that can happen from time totime'.

All failures so far have been on 2003 to 2009 manual gearbox models and it is hoped that the new 2010 Sorento has been fitted with an improved gearbox.

Any observations and comments from fellow caravaners towing with a (manual) Sorento would be most welcome.

PeterP.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had two Sorntos 04 and 06 reg. I towed a substantial caravan and have never had a gearbox problem with the sorento or any other make of car. All have been manual gearboxes.
Andrew

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you foryour input.

The Sorentohas without a shadow of doubt a reputation ofa most reliable car. And judging by the number ofthose usedas tow cars,it isa very popular joice.However, there have beenisolated reported failures of Sorento (2003-2009) manual gearboxes, and the common denominatorin allthose instancesisthatthe car was used for towing a caravan.

My 2005 Sorento gearboxfailed towing a caravan in Spainon the 5thJanuary 2011.The car had done 38900 miles sice new and Iamits first owner.In all reported cases, including mine,this costlyfailure happenned suddenly and withoutany warning.

I am returning backto the UKfrom my winter holidays in Spain at the end of March and I am bringing the faulty gearbox home with me for further analysis.

I will post my findings on this forum in due course, but in the interim I would like to hear from anyone who had suffered a similar manual gearbox failure.

Many thanks,

PeterP.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aww Peter that's not so good. Hope it didn't cause you too much inconvenience. I traded in my 2008 Sorento Titan for a 2011 KX3. At least with my new KX3 I've peace of mind for 7 yrs but if the old Titan had 7 yrs warranty I would never have parted with it.

The KX3 is a far INferiour tow car. OMG you certainly miss that extra 1/2 ton of tug.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A warranty is a contract between the manufacturer and the buyer. A 7 year warranty sounds great, but it does not cover everything. Have a read of your small print.
You were wise to trade in your Titan at 3 year old when the warranty expired: they too suffered from gearbox problems!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't think they could exclude the gearbox in a car used for towing unless they could prove the tow limit had been exceeded.

Just remember that no car should be used to tow until all the components have been correctly bedded in, say 2000 miles for arguments sake. Have the cars that have suffered failures followed the correct proceedure or have they towed from day one.

Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow Paul
TBH I havn't a clue what your talking about. "bedding in" before towing. I've never seen anything in the manual to advise I need to do X amount of miles before towing. Can you tell me where this info is found. Why but a tow car and you can't use it to tow !!!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Surely its common sense, you need to allow new components to bed in correctly before loading them to extreme amounts.

Now for the proof, Ceed manual, 1-5 "Vehicle Break-In Process". Quote "Don't tow a trailer duriong the first 2,000 km (1,200 miles) of operation". Expect all Kia manuals will have the same requirement.

"Treat it well and it will treat you well", well known proverb in these parts.

I rest my case.

Paul

·
Registered
93 Posts
Having owneda Sorentotowed most weekends either a caravanor a glider for the last 3 years I can honestly say the Sorento is a great towcar. I also know of 4 other owners 2 manuals and 2 auto's who have also towed caravans for the last 5 years. The only problem with any of them was with mine where the front prop failed smashing the gearbox casing. The cause of this we believe is alack of lubrication on the sliding universal - joint (this now gets regular attention).

As for running in and not towing for a set mileage I dont realyy think this is an issue - I think is is far more important not to over stress any engine until it has got itself upto temprature and that includes new and old. Certanly take it easy on a new motor but lubrication today has come a long way and fabrication of parts is carried out at a far higher standard than use to be possible.

New engines should run pretty well as designed from day one, the driver as always needs to be sympathetic to the engine, gearbox, road conditions and load. I cringe when I see people starting and over reving cold engines more so if they arer towing.

just my two pence worth

1 - 10 of 10 Posts