Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new shape Sorento Diesel having changed from a Ford Edge. Really pleased with the car, however I had a few bits that I hope someone might be able to help with.

1st I have had a towbar fitted by the dealer it’s a proper Kia detachable with dedicated electrics. The other day I towed my caravan for the first time and it didn’t seem to work like other vehicles I ve had.
So I plugged the caravan in, nothing came up to say a trailer was connected. As I travelled down the motorway the blind spot system was still active and gave me a constant alert, to so something being there. I imagine it’s picking up the caravan and giving the false alert. The lane assist stay on. When I reversed the caravan the parking sensors weren’t deactivated and just bleeped.
I am lead to believe that the car has a trailer stability program but my thoughts are the wiring hasn’t been coded correctly, and thus will not activate the program.

I contacted my dealer who said that’s all normal, and If I want to turn those functions off I need to do it manually through the entertainment centre. In every car I ve had it detects the trailer and deactivates and activates things as required. Another dealer stated it should work how I explained ie activating and deactivate things when it detects the caravan has been plugged in.

So does anyone have an idea what it should or shouldn’t do please as I am confused.......

2nd Randomly and I can’t work out why all of a sudden my dash partly turns into Korean I believe. I then have to go into the settings and re select English for it to return to normal. All very bizzare !!

Any ideas or help would be very gratefully received. .....

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I really hope that your dealer is completely wrong about this because, like you, every car I have had with a towbar automatically disconnects the rear sensor, etc when electrics are plugged into the towbar. I am sure that they are wrong about that and something has not been connected/coded correctly on you car.

I think you need to get the car back to the dealer and tell them to fit it properly! The Trailer stability program will not be operating if the car does not realise that there is a trailer attached to the vehicle.

Let us know how you get on as I have a Sorento with detachable towbar coming in the next couple of weeks.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
I would contact Kia Customer Services on the issues you have.

I can remember another post from a hybrid user who had a senior kia tech from KIA to oversee his install as they said it was the 1st in the UK.
I think they have also had issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 10250 View attachment 10251 View attachment 10252

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a new shape Sorento Diesel having changed from a Ford Edge. Really pleased with the car, however I had a few bits that I hope someone might be able to help with.

1st I have had a towbar fitted by the dealer it’s a proper Kia detachable with dedicated electrics. The other day I towed my caravan for the first time and it didn’t seem to work like other vehicles I ve had.
So I plugged the caravan in, nothing came up to say a trailer was connected. As I travelled down the motorway the blind spot system was still active and gave me a constant alert, to so something being there. I imagine it’s picking up the caravan and giving the false alert. The lane assist stay on. When I reversed the caravan the parking sensors weren’t deactivated and just bleeped.
I am lead to believe that the car has a trailer stability program but my thoughts are the wiring hasn’t been coded correctly, and thus will not activate the program.

I contacted my dealer who said that’s all normal, and If I want to turn those functions off I need to do it manually through the entertainment centre. In every car I ve had it detects the trailer and deactivates and activates things as required. Another dealer stated it should work how I explained ie activating and deactivate things when it detects the caravan has been plugged in.

So does anyone have an idea what it should or shouldn’t do please as I am confused.......

2nd Randomly and I can’t work out why all of a sudden my dash partly turns into Korean I believe. I then have to go into the settings and re select English for it to return to normal. All very bizzare !!

Any ideas or help would be very gratefully received. .....

Thanks in advance.
Hi, sorry cannot offer solution but I have a question. I am awaiting new model diesel, wanted the electric towbar fitted but getting conflicting info from dealer, first response was I cannot have spare wheel with that towbar then they said I could. I notice in accessory book that you can only fit electric drop down towbar if you opt for tyre kit ie pump and fluid. Did you try electric route. Have you resolved your issue.
Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Adding to this thread, I have now had my detachable towbar fitted by Kia dealer and, like OP, the rear parking sensors are not deactivating. FOP, did you get the issue sorted? Every vehicle I have had prior to this deactivates the rear sensors automatically. Also, as you have said, if the sensors aren't deactivating, is the TSA working as it should?

A call to the dealer on Monday is required I think.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Don't you just hate it when you don't get a follow up to let you know what happened? :mad:

In line with "Be nice to fellow users"
Far better worded too.
User Last seen 3 mo ago.

Consensus on even using official Kia wiring is it does not turn rear sensors off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Consensus on even using official Kia wiring is it does not turn rear sensors off.
It appears that that may be the case. It seems strange that this is the one car I have had with toolbar that does not disengage the rear sensors when the electrics are plugged. in. It makes it hard to work out if the TSA is working for example. Does the car know I am towing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hell
Don't you just hate it when you don't get a follow up to let you know what happened? :mad:
Hello sorry I didn’t reply however the forum didn’t notify me that I had any responses for some reason.

So re the towbar. Couldn’t get an electric deployable one fitted as Kia didn’t do one at the time despite advertising it.

I had a detachable fitted. I contacted Kia re the sensors etc and no it doesn’t turn the sensors off or give any indication that a trailer is fitted I questioned how the vehicle can activate trailer stability…no answer so it’s all pretty crap.

Re the language stuff etc..the infotainment Centre was updated on the 4/08 so far no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest I am pretty disappointed with the towbar thing. For a car that costs so much and is championed as a towing beast it really is a first world let down.

I spoke to a number of dealers and with a complete mixed bag of responses.

KIa Customer services response was pretty funny. They stated that the automatic turning off of sensors etc was a new thing on vehicles and in its early stages..??!! I did point out I had a 2013 Vauxhall Insignia that did it so hardly a new thing.

In short none of the sensors turn off, Blind spot doesn’t deactivate etc, hopefully Kia will improve this in the future, but at the moment I don’t see the real benefit of having the vehicle specific wiring looming.

I really think Kia are missing a trick, they should do a towing pack, that allows you to enter your caravan size and weight, so it automatically sets the Satnav so it doesn’t take you down silly roads. I would be great if you could add tyre pressure sensors to the caravan that show up on the dash, and I reversing guide on the screen and it sets the sensors correctly.

It turned out the system going into Korean was a software fault, however things got even worse. The Satnav would show the route but the instructions stopped working. I kept getting error warnings re Blind spot Cross traffic, forward collision being deactivated to suddenly re activate. Carplay was a pain in the ass kept crashing, also the music wouldn’t return to normal levels after a warning ding/bong.

So on the 4/8 it went in and was updated with the latest maps and software. So far so good.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
I really think Kia are missing a trick, they should do a towing pack, that allows you to enter your caravan size and weight, so it automatically sets the Satnav so it doesn’t take you down silly roads. I would be great if you could add tyre pressure sensors to the caravan that show up on the dash, and I reversing guide on the screen and it sets the sensors correctly.
That would require a lot of programing for a very small market place.

Navigation software is provided by "Here".

Are there not dedicated sat navs for caravan owners that do that? Even dedicated HGV ones get it wrong & as ever you should be watching for road signs.
Using either Android Auto or Apple Car Play systems gives you far wider scope on navigation options than the built in system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would require a lot of programing for a very small market place.

Navigation software is provided by "Here".

Are there not dedicated sat navs for caravan owners that do that? Even dedicated HGV ones get it wrong & as ever you should be watching for road signs.
Using either Android Auto or Apple Car Play systems gives you far wider scope on navigation options than the built in system.
Yes I have the TomTom Go Camper that you put the measurements in, but it would be great if Kia or even other manufacturers added the feature to their in built SatNav. I think Here is part of the TomTom group (might be wrong) so I can’t imagine it would be that hard, as the mapping system is already there, and the software to calculate the route for the specifics entered would “just” need interfacing with the software of the car.
You also right reading signs are just as important, in conjunction with a Satnav as is common sense !

·
Super Moderator
3,410 Posts
I don't know of any car manufacturer who supplies a satellite navigation unit that caters for caravans or trailers. I would be more than happy to be educated. Meanwhile I will continue to do what we have successfully done for the last 30 years, pre-plan our routes and use a combination of Sat Nav and road atlas.
PS Obviously our early years there was no such thing as a sat nav - somehow we still managed. :unsure:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Tom Tom navigation is now available in Android Auto & Apple Car Play. Might be worth a look if you have a smart phone. Save having to use a dedicated sat nav (y)
I used to use the Tomtom app but they started charging for different regions. I was using to go up to Scotland and went in to a different area and nothing. I don't mind paying but when you only go a few hundred miles and have to pay again I object too. This was a few years ago, it might have changed now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good morning.
It's been too long as I have to admit, I haven't visited this forum since February 2016 just before I bought my Sportage KX4 and things have moved on. I swapped my Sportage KX4 for a Sorento KX4 and now I have a Sorento GT Line S, all excellent towing vehicles which is why I'm hanging on to my current model.

I bought all three vehicles brand new from my local Kia dealership who use an independant tow bar fitting company, no factory fit option was offered. All three towbars were fitted with aftermarket, not OE, dedicated wiring looms with 13 pin sockets.
In all three instances the reversing sensors are turned off when reversing the caravan. I also get a warning to let me know the blind spot collision warning is turned off. The only thing that I have to remember is to turn off the tilting door mirror function when reversing with the extended mirrors fitted to avoid potential damage to the mirror itself.
I understand the brake lights on some vehicles are turned off when towing but not in my case.
Maybe the aftermarket dedicated looms are more sophisticated than the ones used by Kia as doubtful as it sounds.
I didn't have any doubt that everything is working as it should but I have always wondered why no indication comes up on the dash when I attach my caravan. I will check when it goes in for service again to make sure the trailer towing software is still present.

With regards to Satnav, I generally use Waze for everyday driving. It's owned by Google but it provides live updates by other via users through its incident reporting function. The one drawback is when an incident is detected ahead the Waze algorithm will send you around it but, the route may be totally unsuitable for caravans and larger vehicles. I have just bought Sygic Truck and Caravan which is available for IOS and Android and is compatible with Apple Car Play in my Sorento. I haven't had a chance to use it while towing yet but it does allow you to setup the parameters of your vehicle and trailer and the app then plans the most appropriate route(s).
Cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts