Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone,

I have a Sorento Kx3 manual which is approaching 2 years old. Today I booked it for its 2nd service and mentioned to the garage that the clutch was starting to slip under acceleration in 5th and 6th gear, please could they look at it under warranty.

I was shocked at their response:- They proposed that they would inspect the vehicle, but it was likely that it wouldn't be covered under warranty, as it would be deemed fare wear and tear.

The vehicle has covered 16,800 easy miles, we live in a rural area and most journeys are of a reasonable distance with very little stop, start or hill work. The car doesn't tow or carry passengers or heavy loads, I'm appalled it should be slipping at all. Even more so that the dealers will have to remove and strip the gearbox and clutch units to asses whether it is faulty, in addition for them to do this I have to sign a disclaimer, that if the problems identified as fare wear and tear and not warranty, I'm liable for associated diagnosis costs, as well as replacement of the faulty clutch.

I had been so pleased with this vehicle over the last 2 years, it's so disheartening now not to have the re-assurance of the warranty that I believed I had?

Are there any other owners who have experienced similar issue, who could offer advice on this matter?

many thanks Nigel

·
Registered
379 Posts
Lifted from the Kia webpage on warranties.

"Maintenance items (#) are covered for defects in material or workmanship for 24 months from the date of first registration regardless of mileage. (#-Spark plugs, auxiliary drive belts, brake pads and linings, wiper blades, clutch linings, lamp bulbs or other consumable items)."

If you're inside the 24mth warranty period you need to pursue the dealer, test drive to confirm slipping. Before giving the dealer authorisation to remove to gearbox & inspect at possibly your cost.

Outside 24mths technically there is no warranty :unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for your input and clarity from the KIA webpage, the car is not 2 years old for another 4 weeks, so it would appear I have a little time to follow up this issue. I still can't believe the car has a clutch issue with such low mileage though. I've owned many vehicles over the years, many with much higher mileage and used for towing and i have never had any clutch issues. It's a really disappointing quality issue with such a great vehicle!

bets wishes

Nigel

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bit of a belated response to this post: Yesterday, I chopped in my 2017 KX2 manual with only 22700 on the clock. I got a reasonable price for it and am so far happy with the Skoda Karoq DSG I bought in part exchange. The Kia was a nice motor that didn't let me down and it was an excellent tow car. However, from new, the clutch produced a stink whenever it was under stress and I've been driving long enough to avoid unnecessary clutch slippage and have never burnt one out. I was told by the Dealer that the smell was normal, but I had a foreboding of a massive repair bill in years to come and ended up wishing I had bought an automatic, as otherwise it was a great car that I would have kept for another three years at least. I think it's appalling that Kia have allowed this to happen and the dealers appear to wash their hands of any liability. I thought about replacing it with a Sportage, but exhaustive research pointed me in the direction of the Karoq. I hope your clutch problem was sorted without you having to get your wallet out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.