Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hoping if I describe a problem with my kia sorento, maybe someone will have had a similiar problem and be able to advise me what they did to fix it.

Car has been cutting out at time and taking a while to start again. For example, yesterday, I went to filling station, put in approx 1/2 tank diesel. Started car, no problem, then sat at junction waiting for my chance to pull out. Saw an opening, and accelerated off. Within 10 yards the power had died and the car cut out. I sat for about 5 minutes, cranking it intermittantly until it fired up again. This has been happening for some time now. I have used different fuel stations, made sure pick up in tank was clear of debris - which it was(saw some posts about tank interior flaking off and blocking pick up). Also changed fuel filter (with aftermarket filter, not genuine). Problem keeps happening, there are no fault codes logged, except one which teels me my fuel temperature is low,from memory the reading was around-150 degrees.

Anyone had this? Does anyone think that a genuine kia fuel filter would help? Any ideas about the low fuel temp reading? Does the temp reading even matter?

Any thoughts welcome and apreciated!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Gairloch

I had a simular thing with my 04 Sorrento on 2009 - We discovered the after market fuel filter was the cause of the problem - I had a genuine Kia filter fitted which solved the cuttiing out issue - 20k later still no problems..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks UncleMart, I'm going to get a genuine filter and see how it is. In the meantime, if anyone has any other possibilities, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sounds like there is dirt in the tank coming through, these things were bad for the lining of the tank peeling off and clogging the pick up pipe and filter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Theproblem is definately the fuel filter. Its a common problem with these Sorento's. The fuel is under extremely high pressure and if it doesnt have enough, the engine shuts off.
I had it with mine with the caravan on the back. Got stuck in a middle of a roundabout with my 26ft caravan in situ.

Change the filter to a genuine Kia one and this will eradicate the problem.

Spencer

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi
i have got EXACTLY the same problem just started recently without making any changes to car or driving pattern.
could u please suggest, what was the cause of the problem and also the solution if any worked for you.
i would be happi to receive a call on 07575136822.
thanking you
jay

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
If it hasn't had the tank replaced probably the same as the next post down, tank de lamination.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts