Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just wondering what's the highest software update and map pack a 2013 optima with nav unit can take.

Cheers

·
Registered
749 Posts
Have a look at this thread 2019 Map Updates the first posting explains. The 2020 updates are due out now, but have been delayed because of Covid-19.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks mr.macspot had already had a look in that thread but was unsure as to my gen I'm use to car dealer leaving car like this long in the past. Nice to see might get an update.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2014 Optima facelift is a gen 1. I have just update the nav it has to be done via USB. I have the 2020 maps now. Very easy to do but engine has to be running for like 90 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi mine is a facelift but it uses gen 1 software. If you can find that and put it on usb you can install it via a stick. Takes around 90 mins with the engine running.

The file is around 5gb and I found it hard to find.

It works though and I now have 2020 maps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Deleted.
You can get the files and instructions from this linked forum, there is even some help if you don't mind getting mentally abused by the toxic users.

Please do not link to unofficial methods of updating systems.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Hi, I have Optima 2013 even I want to update MAP how is possible and cost please?
KIA dealer will do it for £40 and this will include any infotainment system firmware updates. Alternative is to use a pirate copy in breech of Intellectual Property Rights.

·
Super Moderator
2,945 Posts
KIA dealer will do it for £40 and this will include any infotainment system firmware updates. Alternative is to use a pirate copy in breech of Intellectual Property Rights.
Just note user is not showing a UK flag... So might need to contact Kia in their country.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Just note user is not showing a UK flag... So might need to contact Kia in their country.
The author of post #6 is showing the Australian national flag although it doesn’t necessarily follow that he is actually Australian. Neither need he be actually resident in Australia - he may even be, just for example, an Aussie currently domiciled in the UK.

Your advice, of course, remains sound although I don’t know what arrangements exist in other markets for the infotainment unit updates for which UK dealers now charge £40.00.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the update is free of charge in ones country, then piracy isn't the case. I guess if you can't get the files from Kia in your country free of charge then it could in deed be piracy. I wouldn't loose sleep over it since free updates are often bundled up in most countries across the globe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I never knew the map updates included infotainment upgrade. Guess this includes firmware for apple that in the past was a free download Is it advertised anywhere what the update actually includes.
Asking as soon IOS14 will be released and the CarPlay is meant to have more options.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
You are being obtuse. Map updates certainly intellectual property belonging to someone (might be KIA. might be HERE, might be someone else entirely). We are not party to the IPR arrangements between these parties but it is clear that if KIA wanted them to be free in a country then they would release them through the appropriate channels. What KIA choose to do in Timbukthree is irrelevant here in the UK. If you don;t like that this does not free you from the moral esponsibility. If you don't like that then try to change it. It is clear that the site you have linked to is shamelessly facilitating piracy and the very least you can do is make that clear to folk who might follow your advice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is clear that the site you have linked to is shamelessly facilitating piracy and the very least you can do is make that clear to folk who might follow your advice.
There is no piracy since the updates are free in Finland and can be downloaded at leisure. I'm sure the dealership is more than happy that they don't have to waste valuable time doing the free updates to my car. Same goes for Hyundai here.

·
Super Moderator
2,945 Posts
There is no piracy since the updates are free in Finland and can be downloaded at leisure. I'm sure the dealership is more than happy that they don't have to waste valuable time doing the free updates to my car. Same goes for Hyundai here.
We are not in Finland here. UK dealers get paid by us to upgrade the systems.
So while it OK in your country. Else where in the world it is not.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
can you point me to a KIA site in Finland which provides updates?
The fact that they are not charged for does not make it a free for all. The criteria is not "how much do you pay?" but "do you have the owner's permission to make use if his property?" You do not know what arrangements are in place between KIA and the folk who produce maps and firmware updates and it is certain that if the owners of these items wanted them to be free they would release them themselves. You reasoning is entirely spurious.

I note that you still have failed to provide a link to the official KIA release site in Finland - that is because it does not exist and the link you have provided is a pirate site.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This is a car forum where there are many correspondents who break the law by ignoring speed limits every time they drive their vehicle even though we know that inappropriate speed is a major, contributory factor in RTAs, causing thousands of deaths and serious injuries in the UK every year.

Frequently, there are correspondents to this forum inquiring about the best performance chip or re-map so they can make their vehicle more powerful. That modification requires that the insurer is notified so that an assessment of increased risk can be considered with an additional premium levied if appropriate. It may also render any manufacturer’s warranty invalid should a claim be made. There is much empirical history from the courts that such notification is rarely sought by those who want to go faster than the vehicle permits in standard form.

Then we have a discussion about the rights and wrongs of a few people utilising files available, rightly or wrongly, on the internet to update the software and mapping in their KIA and avoiding the charge levied by dealers to perform what is a very simple and hardly time-consuming task. Suddenly, some contributors become all sanctimonious about such a heinous crime, concerned that a global carmaker’s intellectual property rights may have been violated.

There are professional spies and photographers who earn a living from inside information leaked for payment from staff members in all the car factories. That is why every time an entirely new body style is released by one big player, it is followed almost immediately by something very similar from the competitors in that market sector. Do the carmakers pursue lawsuits against those responsible? Of course they don’t because they are all at it!

On the roads around my home in Spain, there are always cars draped in camouflage being tested by teams of test drivers and engineers - I saw three last week! - and there are always agents employed by the motoring media who follow these cars and get ’spy shots’ whenever those disguised vehicles pull up at fuel stations or in hotel car parks or the like. This kind of industrial espionage has been going on for decades but I am not aware of anyone from this niche group of paparazzi ever being dragged before the courts.

If I wish to update my car’s map and apply any SW/FW released by KIA, I shall happily DIY the task for free should the necessary files magically become available on the internet. If that sound as though I’m doing a KIA dealer out of some easy money, I can justify that in the knowledge that the same dealer lies about the work performed every time my car goes in for service so I’m being ripped off by the dealer……a filter or brake fluid not changed for example; an OTT charge for a 5 minute cabin filter change or the cost of a new sump plug washer when the drain plug has never been removed. These are very typical cheats on the part of KIA’s appointed franchisees so I feel no moral obligation to award the dealer £40.00 just to update my infotainment unit when the 2019 update took me exactly 11 minutes from start to finish!

·
Administrator
7,493 Posts
Just to remind members of the kiaownersclub.co.uk official stance on map upgrades.

It's your car, so you can therefore do whatever you want with it. You can go to a site who as 'ripped' a copy of the maps from somewhere or even get a copy that was designed for a vehicle in another country if you desire, but just want to remind you all, these avenues are all installed at your own risk. If it fries your whole system, limits normally accessible options or leaves you with a completely wiped blank screen, it is not the responsibility of the kiaownersclub in any way as its done by you at your own risk.

Looking back at my PM folders I have now accumulated 134 members who have wiped/damaged their infotainment system by installing software from sticks/torrents. Many have come back and told me the cost of a reset and debug at an average of £475 as this is certainly not warranty work.

As we are not sponsored or owned in any way by Kia themselves we are not saying you must use an authorised Kia dealership and pay £40, but personally, I do...if its goes wrong they fix it then and there plus my 7 year warranty stays intact.

I think it's the obvious choice.

Your choice, but you only need to get it wrong once!

Paul

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
<snip>

On the roads around my home in Spain, there are always cars draped in camouflage being tested by teams of test drivers and engineers - I saw three last week! - and there are always agents employed by the motoring media who follow these cars and get ’spy shots’ whenever those disguised vehicles pull up at fuel stations or in hotel car parks or the like. This kind of industrial espionage has been going on for decades but I am not aware of anyone from this niche group of paparazzi ever being dragged before the courts.

<snip>
In the UK and in many other countries photographing anything from a public place is in no way illegal, which is why paparazzi have not been prosecuted. There are some few exceptions, such as "prohibited places" under the Official Secrets act in the UK and some of the more totalitarian countries such as China do not share this attitude but I think it is harmonised in the EU countries. Taking a photograph while standing in a public place is not a breech of IPR. For completeness, taking a photograph of a person might be a violation of their human rights but this is nothing to do with IPR. Making a copy if a vehicle or making a copy of a book/work of (inter alia) art/piece of music/map/firmware code without the permission of the IPR owner is a breech of IPR regardless of the use, or even if it is not used for anything.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.