Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post here!

I've recently picked up a UK 2018 Sportage GT Line. Really pleased with the car but the one thing I would like is wireless CarPlay rather than the USB based one. I've done a search on here for software updates and also tried to find info on the kia websites but it doesn't seem to be clear what my options are. So a couple of questions for the more experienced.

Can the software be updated?
Can I only get it done by a dealer or can I download it myself?
If it can be done is it still £40 flat rate?

Screenshot of current software attached. Not sure how up to date any of the software is

Your assistance will be very much appreciated!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Unfortunately the KIA head units do not support wireless Apple CarPlay or Android auto and updating the firmware/software will not resolve this. You have to connect your phone with the charger cable to the usb port under the heater control panel. Future KIA's will, according to KIA, support wireless connection but these will be released at a later date on a model to model basis.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,407 Posts
In answer to your questions.

Yes

Yes. The official method is to get your dealer to do the update. There are unofficial methods, but they are not discussed on here because of reasons of copyright and intellectual property rights.

The updates are free, however there is a flat charge of £40 to cover the dealers time. Some members have managed to get it for less than this, and in one or two occasions even free, but that is rare. One or two have been asked to pay more.

And finally it will not add Apple Carplay or Android Auto wireless, they are both dependent on a hardware changes, which your head unit can't accept.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In answer to your questions.

Yes

Yes. The official method is to get your dealer to do the update. There are unofficial methods, but they are not discussed on here because of reasons of copyright and intellectual property rights.

The updates are free, however there is a flat charge of £40 to cover the dealers time. Some members have managed to get it for less than this, and in one or two occasions even free, but that is rare. One or two have been asked to pay more.

And finally it will not add Apple Carplay or Android Auto wireless, they are both dependent on a hardware changes, which your head unit can't accept.
Thankyou very much for the comprehensive response. Given that wireless is the main reason I'd upgrade it seems like it would be a waste of time. Given that the head unit has both wifi and bluetooth built in, I'm struggling to see what additional hardware changes would prevent it from being capable of being enabled. Bottom line sounds like it's not going to happen though so a cable it is!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thankyou very much for the comprehensive response. Given that wireless is the main reason I'd upgrade it seems like it would be a waste of time. Given that the head unit has both wifi and bluetooth built in, I'm struggling to see what additional hardware changes would prevent it from being capable of being enabled. Bottom line sounds like it's not going to happen though so a cable it is!
The head unit can only handle 2.4 GHz WiFi,

For wireless Car Play or Android Auto you need 5 GHz WiFi to handle the significant quantiles of data passing between the phone and head unit. There was a Crowd Funding company planning to bring out a Wireless Interface that connected to USB and added 5GHz but I don't know how far they got.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The head unit can only handle 2.4 GHz WiFi,

For wireless Car Play or Android Auto you need 5 GHz WiFi to handle the significant quantiles of data passing between the phone and head unit. There was a Crowd Funding company planning to bring out a Wireless Interface that connected to USB and added 5GHz but I don't know how far they got.

View attachment 9830
Thanks for the info. The 5ghz makes sense for throughput. I'll stick with the cable and worry about it next time I buy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts