Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 2020 Soul EV for 14 months now, and driven just under 15K miles. No real problems and very happy with the car.

One thing that I have been looking out for is other latest model Souls. I spend about half my miles driving around Scotland and the other half on longer distance journeys, some as far as the tip of Cornwall. All in all, I reckon I am covering a large part of the western half of the UK, albeit not as frequently as some, no doubt.

The thing is - in all that time I have seen precisely two other 2020/2021 Souls (one in Perth, the other in Tiverton).

My reaction has varied between "Oh Hell, that means a lower trade-in for what must be a less popular model" to "Great, I love driving something so exclusive".

During Covid I haven't been to the South East of the Country - so cannot comment on that area.

I'm idly just wondering what other's experience has been? Is there a great horde of Souls driving around somewhere or other, or are we 2020/2021 owners the automotive equivalent of "The Last of the Mohicans"?

·
Registered
56 Posts
If it was a blue one in Tiverton then that could have been mine.
In the year and I bit I have owned mine, I have seen 6 other 2020 Soul, and 1 of the older EV versions.
I think they will always be a rare sight on the roads as Kia don't seem that interested in pushing them. Only 1 model, no options and only a couple of non trendy colours (no browns or dull gray). How will the average BMW or Audi driver who currently drives a car fitted with thousands of pounds of extras in a battleship gray colour ever cope with the Soul configurator on the Kia website.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Seen a few round our area. Not always easy to tell if EV or older ICE.
But the Soul is a love it or hate it car.

Personally I love it,just needs to be a foot longer to give more boot space & it would be a great car.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was a blue one in Tiverton then that could have been mine.
In the year and I bit I have owned mine, I have seen 6 other 2020 Soul, and 1 of the older EV versions.
I think they will always be a rare sight on the roads as Kia don't seem that interested in pushing them. Only 1 model, no options and only a couple of non trendy colours (no browns or dull gray). How will the average BMW or Audi driver who currently drives a car fitted with thousands of pounds of extras in a battleship gray colour ever cope with the Soul configurator on the Kia website.
Sorry foggy69, it was a white one in Tiverton! Still, mine's in blue too - so we share a non-Audi colour choice!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also have a 2020 Soul EV, for 14 months, 15k miles, drive around Scotland. Here in Aberdeenshire I've seen 1 other I think but have seen the odd one here and there, charged next to one in Banbury in the summer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Soul does seem to very definitely be a 'niche product'.

Apart from an episode with a flat 12 v battery (see separate post) the more I drive the Soul the more I like it.

I originally bought the the car as something of an 'interim' purchase with the intention of waiting to see how the EV market 'settled down'. Now I find that I keep thinking "do I really need or even want" what the current crop of new EVs are offering over and above the Soul.

In fact, I've cancelled an order for an EV6 (too big for some roads I drive on, not that cheap for the options I would really want, and great 800v charging - but the Chinese are coming onto the market with the same charging at what may potentially be a lower price).

In the meantime the Soul is very like a Saab I used to own - slightly odd to look at, internally large and comfortable, extremely practical, people don't know about it and take an interest in what it is, and over time the car sort-of 'worms its way into your affections'.

All in all, I'm pleased I bought the Soul instead of the E Niro (good car that it is) - which will be replaced this next year, whereas the Soul in something like its present form will presumably soldier on for a few more years as yet.

The issue, of course, is if there is only very limited demand for the Soul - will it actually be updated/replaced in due course, or just quietly dropped from Kia's catalogue. That would be a pity.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 First Edition
4 Posts
Bit late on replying but we have a Soul EV 2020 First Edition which we took delivery of in September, and we live near Kelso in the Borders. It's black with a red roof We hardly ever seen any others but then this week we had a day where we saw two, we did wave but neither responded :) Loving the car, hard to find fault but I must get around to sorting out how we could carry mountain bikes on it, any pointers to where this has already been discussed would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
Hi & Welcome.

Looks like you have roof rails on the Soul EV so some roof bars & a couple of cycle racks (hope they are light bikes, or you are strong)
Or you may be able to get a tow bar. But you would only be able to fit a cycle rack on it as per the Niro EV. (has a peg on the ball to stop towing)

Seems there is one, but looks like not Uk based. So you could ask around suppliers

Niro towbar

This co gets mentioned a lot on social media Niro sites

1 - 9 of 9 Posts