Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
With brand new tyres i would say very good. Mine was brilliant last year - but mines a diesel so the heavier engine may have helped. The Soul certainly has more ground clearance than usual. Everybody on the USA forum with petrol engines say they are good.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm only on day 4 of ownership, but i would agree with tempest. On new tyres i think the soul handles itself very well. But i also have a diesel so the weight may make a difference as mentioned.

·
Registered
111 Posts
not bad ,not bad at all!!felt a lot happier in the soul than my other car which i had bail out of in the snow !i think the fact its a bit higher off the deck than a normal car helps, which is why i had to leave my other car as it was so low it was collecting snow at the front on the valance and snowploughing!! so yes as a vehicle in the snow and not a 4x4 but an everyday runabout its definately more capable in the snow.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Get some Snow Socks! When the Soul will not go any further on its own, fit the socks.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i have seen those snow socks advertised. Have you actually had experience of using them?....they look a brilliant idea to me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes. But just be aware they are a safety/ get you out of trouble gadget. They do say that you can drive at a max of 30mph and providing you stay away from sharp objects should last quite a while. Naturally once you are off the snow you take them off (no need on tarmac is there). Easy to fit and a 'nice' pair of plastic orange gloves to keep your hands dry.

Fit them, accelerate gently, and away you go. For just over £60 it is far cheaper than buying new wheels and tyres just for the odd time we get snow. Yes I know two weeks of the stuff seem like an eternity, but most of the year the things will be in the boot. And don't forget snow tyres will wear quicker if used on tarmac because of the softer compound.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have bought those snow sock for mine but not used them yet as when it snowed I just stayed at home. I Was tempted to put them on and drive around just to play

·
Registered
161 Posts
well the snow hit hertfordshire today.mine was great on the flat and new snow.however on the frosted snow compact had trouble getting up the hill...mind you anything would of.

diesel crdi

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Slid down a twisty hill in holywell for nearly half a mile on sheet ice.... doing about 2 mph max.... full anti lock kicking in... had no choice, car started sliding at the top and would not come to a halt (actually considered trying to steer into the high curb to stop the car).....literally steered my way gingerly between the parked cars on either side with the car weaving and correcting itself the whole time... didnt hit a thing..... passenger having palpitations and me needing new underwear by the finish.....the longests 3 minutes of my life!!!!..thank heaven for antilock brakes and the ECS controls.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
it certainly was!!!.... i couldnt believe that i couldnt actually physically stop the car..... at one point i actually told my passenger to step out and get on the kerb - we were moving that slowly..... i just had visions of a bowling alley scenario, and my Tempest being the Ball....very scary. I have a new found respect for driving in this weather now....minus 12 this morning.

·
Registered
161 Posts
two attemps to get up the hill now..still cant.....mean time white van man flew by with a grin on his face.have you washed out the skid marks yet tempest?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts