Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a (formerly) proud owner of a Venga 1.6 litres fully equipped bought in November 2010. At time of ordering the car (and paying for it to the Kia dealer Collina in Roma, Italy) nobody did even care to inform me that tires 205/50R 17 on 6.5Jx17 could not mount snow chains. We had recently a snowfall in Rome and for several days only cars with snow chains on board or winter tires were allowed to circulate. At this stage I contacted Kia Italy and very innocently they told me that yes these tires and wheels do not allow snow chains.
So I had to stay home with no way to work (I need car for my work).
Then I go on Koenig snow chains and they suggest the CK-7/K7 measure 090 (is a 7mm chain) or Spider spikes K-Summit k23 Fix 21.
What a mess...
Has any of you experied the same and how did eventually sort out such a mess.
Appreciate any comment

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Antonio45,
My wife's Soul Burner is running225/45 x 18 tyre sizeand we have used Spikes Spiders, onour past European ski holidays, since Winter 2009.

Spiders are more expensive (£200+ in UK) than conventional chains but they really are thebest (only?) solution if you are running ultra low profile tyres on wide rims,withrestrictedspace behind the wheel.

Snow Socks appear to offera cheaper solution but I wouldn't recommend them unless you don't figure on using them very much or to drive far with them fitted. I have seen plenty os abandonedSnow Socks left shredded on roadsides.The fact that they are legally unacceptablein European alpine areas in Winter just about says it all!

The Spiders are excellent and far quicker to fit/remove (under aminute each side) compared with chains. Furthermore, unlike conventional chains, the Spiders don't needthering cable to retain them on the insideof the wheel rim. It is always a pain to clip this cable together when fitting PLUS there is no needto struggle when unclippingthe nipple (that connects/joinsthe ring cable)because it has frozen solid!

The Spiders can be adjusted at least1inch (rimdiameter)up or down which means you may not need to replace them if you change your wheel size or car.

I hope the above info is useful to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks eurojeeper!!!
I will certainly go for the Spiders. Over here (Italy) the Koenig K-Summit k23 fix 21 (the ones I need) cost about the same (‚¬250 +).
What drives me nuts, and I have filed a complaint to KIA about it, is that Kia Italy states, in writing, that my Venga " is "unchainable" and I should have known that since is stated in the User's Manual". I already told them to inform me how many people buy the car's User Manual first, they go through it and then decide to buy the car!!!

I did it the opposite like I believe almost everyone does.
Appreciate your answer and kind regards
Antonio

1 - 3 of 3 Posts