Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Sportage in Jan 2011

One of the keys has lost the pin that keeps it in place

Upon taking it to the dealer, they have said that the metal had a hairline crack and that they would do me a temporary fix by putting in a new pin

By doing this it has almost snapped the whole thing along at least it is back in 1 piece

My problem is therefore that i am unwilling to pay the circa £130 replacement key fee as i believe this to be an inherent defect in the metail of the key as it has effectively snapped in less than a year since i bought it

It is not fit for purpose and should therefore be replaced free of charge although KIA are saying its not covered.

They have missed my point as its a claim for faulty goods more than a warranty claim

Even if i wanted to damage my own key i would honestly find it hard to get a hairline crack on the metal next to the pin

Thoughts please

·
Registered
260 Posts
Let me know how you get on if anyone purchases on and has it registered (not sure how the last bit works - via KIA - will they charge a silly amount??)

·
Registered
55 Posts
One of our keys fails to flip open when you press the button. We too were told that the keys aren't covered under warranty. I asked why not? Without reply.Replacement key - under warranty - due on the 5th March when the Sportage goes in for a few warranty bits

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi i have a ceed with the same problem one key bit broke off second key has a crack and pin fell out kia told me not under warrenty as the key for the ceed venga and sportage has the same problem quoted me £113.00 for new bit that they key fits into waiting for kis customer services to call me friday as most of the time the car will not lock or unlock by remote and have to use the key

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crack and Pin fell out exact same as my problem

Garage tried to fix and put in new pin

hairline crack now turned into full crack on both sides after they put in pin

KIA customer services posted on here for me to call them which i did today. They will call me back tomorrow

I will let you know how it goes

How old is your key?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Have you ever found your key open in your pocket ?

My guess is that this is when they get damaged as they are weak and have a fair bit of leverage on the pin. I have found, front pocket + tight pants (lol) + squatting (lol) = open key ...

WD

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi again kia customer services did not call i called them back just now and was told they still need to talk to the dealer and any key issues are not covered by kia.any replacements would have to be under a goodwill arrangement should call me back on monday

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just heard from dealer Arnold Clark who have been fighting my corner on this one - Kia have now agreed to replace key under warranty ( Sportage 2011 10k miles) . Will be taking car in next week to reprogramme new key and they will look at the small tear in seat fabric on Drivers right hand side which other forum members have also reported.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts