Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all and thankyou to Daniel for resetting my password..

I am still very pleased with my ceed 1.6crdi hi power and I still seem to be one of the few who get excellent mpg figures, 55-65 mpg without trying and not holding up the traffic. However, I have a strange issue, after leaving my car at work after a 8 mile run for 4-5 hours or more and thenstartingit, I get clouds of blue smoke and rough running for a few seconds, it all then clears and everything is fine again. The smoke is clearly unburnt/incorrectly burnt diesel...it stinks and before you ask, I know the smell from marine diesel engines. I understand that others may have the same issues but I cannot convince my useless dealer, he simply says it is normal and due to the dpf that of course I don't have!!!
Can anyone help before I consider going back to a dagenham dustbin.
Ta everso all in advance.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Have you tried a good inector and fuel cleaner product threw the car ? It could help or fill your car up with high octane diesel which has it's own natural cleaners in it :) . If you have a dpf filter you should have no smoke . The dealer clearly has it wrong , your best of with out one as you are anyway there expensive to change .
Hope you find your car getting better soon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I have just filled the car with supa dupa diesel (1.47.9) and will check on the issue this afternoon. If this fails I will try the injector cleaner. Just to advise that I have worked with diesel engines for donkeys years and this problem is mostdefinitelyrelated to fuel burning and nothing whatsoever to do with burning engine oil as suggested elsewhere on another forum. The smell on its own is obvious.It will only be time before someone is cautioned by plod for the excessive smoking, I started my ceed up next to a policeman friend (fortunately) and he advised that they would take a dim view of this amount of smoking from any vehicle let alone a new one that allegedly is within certain emissionparameters.
So, if you ever read these posts Mr Kia, best you figure out what is wrong, cos at some point in the future you are going to be in deep s..t.
Having said all of this I still like my car and enjoy driving it, its quick (relatively speaking, when compared to Fordson tractors towing 5 tons of finest stable sweepings), economical (55-65) as advisedpreviouslyand reasonably well made.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Firstly and without wishing to appear rude...you must choose to believe what you wish. My average fuel consumption varies between 55 and 65 MPG and that is fact (according to the dash display). It has only ever dropped below 55 once and that was one of the few times it was used during the dreadful weather last winter when it dropped to high 40's. It is used daily on local and uncongested roads for work for about 18 miles per day. At the weekends it is used on mostly A roads and Motorways at the speed limit and I admit slightly above usually loaded with 2 perhaps 3 adults. I take no notice whatsoever of the "suggested gear change points" and "press on where possible". My record was a run to Newbury from East Kent early morning whereupon I deliberately drove economically to see what was possible andrecordedan average of 72 MPG. With the exception of the smoking issue which I hope to resolve with the advice given I am very pleased with both the performance and fuel consumption. My experience with diesels dates back many years and is limited I admit to more old fashioned engines. I therefore bow to yourknowledgeof more modern units and will take your advice on "mills". I have, however nothing to gain from posting untruthful MPG figures. Indeed if my car returned below 50 as an average it would have been moved on by now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just curious if you have x-checked the display MPG against actual MPG. My display seems to be quite accurate, so assuming yours is, then I would say those are excellent MPG figures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Getting back to the smoking on start up check out the glow plugs. make sure the 10mm nuts on the power supply bar onto the glow plugsare tight and the glow plugs are working. Quick check is to use a DC amp clamp meter on the main supply just before the glow plugs. Expect to see around 90 ~ 100 amps on first switch on droping down as the plugs warm up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there regarding what Iamstillhappy says about the MPG on his car I can also say I get excellent MPG form my 1.4 Ceed VR7 petrol I drove back from Goonhilly earth station in Cornwall in June and drove all the way back to Jct 42 of the M1 on a full tank of juice and the computer still had 17 miles to go before I had to fill up.I had 4 adults in the car along with 3 suitcases so not a light load,I also average 38.98 running around an average week which is a mixture of town & motorways

·
Registered
58 Posts
AMISTILLHAPPY said:
Firstly and without wishing to appear rude...you must choose to believe what you wish. My average fuel consumption varies between 55 and 65 MPG and that is fact (according to the dash display). It has only ever dropped below 55 once and that was one of the few times it was used during the dreadful weather last winter when it dropped to high 40's. It is used daily on local and uncongested roads for work for about 18 miles per day. At the weekends it is used on mostly A roads and Motorways at the speed limit and I admit slightly above usually loaded with 2 perhaps 3 adults. I take no notice whatsoever of the "suggested gear change points" and "press on where possible". My record was a run to Newbury from East Kent early morning whereupon I deliberately drove economically to see what was possible andrecordedan average of 72 MPG. With the exception of the smoking issue which I hope to resolve with the advice given I am very pleased with both the performance and fuel consumption. My experience with diesels dates back many years and is limited I admit to more old fashioned engines. I therefore bow to yourknowledgeof more modern units and will take your advice on "mills". I have, however nothing to gain from posting untruthful MPG figures. Indeed if my car returned below 50 as an average it would have been moved on by now.
As a relative newbie to the Kia family and this forum, I do believe you.
In the short time I've had my cee'd 2 sw crdi my fuel consumption mirrors your own,
and I sincerely believe even 74 - 75 mpg is very possible on a long haul.
BTW that Miller's fuel additive helps the engine stay efficient through colder weather,
and it does a good job of cleaning thewhole fuel system as well as injectors.
A very good product, used it for 20 - 30 years.
Love my cee'd 2.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sir, Thank you for the reply and I am glad that someone else is benefiting from proper Kia economy. I have now moved house and for the time being my daily commute is now a shade over 100 miles return, this consists of 50% motorway, 20% A rd and the remainder horribly narrow country lanes. My average has now settled at high 50's, motorway cruising 75-80 mph, then of course stop start the rest of the way. This is travelling 2 up. At the weekend when we are driving "off peak"" so to speak the average is ALWAYS over 60mpg. The additive has cured the smoking issue so I am back to being 100% happy. My only complaint is that the car will not clean itself....I have to bribe offspring..very expensive, so Mr Kia, if you read this, the next thing you need to invent is the self cleaning car !!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a side issue does anyone else find that the 1.6 (113) 'judders' if you have it in a gear other than 1st around 1k rpm? i.e. put it in 2nd and roll with the clutch out so that you crawl along feet off the accelerator in traffic.

With a bit of acceleration to around 1250 the judder goes away. It is still above idle (around 800) but I would have thought it would handle it OK as I have not seen this in other cars I have had.

·
Registered
757 Posts
KTF said:
As a side issue does anyone else find that the 1.6 (113) 'judders' if you have it in a gear other than 1st around 1k rpm? i.e. put it in 2nd and roll with the clutch out so that you crawl along feet off the accelerator in traffic.
Is it a pre-facelift model? Mine always worked ok in 2nd but not 3rd or higher. There was some improvement after an ECU update at the last service.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, it is 57 Ceed SW. I tried it again on the way home and you are right, its OK in 1st and 2nd but does it in 3rd or higher.

I suspected it might be a fuelling issue relating to the ECU so I will ask them to see if there is an update at the next service (or sooner if it gets annoying).

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the 126 and quite frankly I just don't think it has the low down power to pull itself along. 1st is a VERY short gear, then a big jump to 2nd then equally spread upto a long 6th gear. I can only imagine the problem is worse in the 5 speed. To me though it's not so much of a problem. It's just how it is and makes for better fuel economy between 20 & 60mph which is the speed range cars spend most of there time wouldn't you say?
Plus 2nd with the clutch out is probably putting more strain on the clutch & drive system than what is necessary.

·
Registered
757 Posts
RichieD76 said:
I have the 126 and quite frankly I just don't think it has the low down power to pull itself along. 1st is a VERY short gear, then a big jump to 2nd then equally spread upto a long 6th gear. I can only imagine the problem is worse in the 5 speed.

If you are referring to the diesel, ratios 1 to 4 are the same in both 5 & 6 speed boxes; the new 5 & 6 just straddle the old 5. Yes, 1 to 2 feels slightly wide because the 1st gear rev limit is low. It certainly feels slightly odd going back to petrol and finding that it gets into its stride at 20mph, rather than asking for a gear change.

Plus 2nd with the clutch out is probably putting more strain on the clutch & drive system than what is necessary.
(puzzled) Maximum load on the input side is at maximum torque in any gear. Maximum load on the output side is maximum torque in 1st gear. Light pedalling gives a light load, no matter the revs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts