Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI MY SEDONA HAS LOST A LOT OF ITS POWER ON ACCELERATION AND SMOKES MORE THAN USEALL ON AND OFF. MAINLY WHEN I GO ROUND A CORNER IT WILL SMOKE MORE, AND IT WILL SMOKE FROM LOW TO HIGH REVS . I STILL HAVE ALL OF THE REVS WHEN I DRIVE IT BUT IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO GET THERE .... DO YOU THINK IT MAY BE THE TURBO WASTE GATE BECAUSE I CAN HERE THE TURBO SPINNG VERY CLEARLY FROM INSIDE THE CAR WHEN UNDER BOOST

PLEASE HELP SIMON

·
Registered
195 Posts
first off, please cont use caps, they are hard to read, and are akin to shouting on forums.

when you say clearly, is it just an obvious spinup/whistle, or something more?

hows your oil level, are you loosing any?

Id check the turbo pipes for splits, as unless coupled with a light on the dash sounds like you are loosing turbo pressure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry about the caps . the turbo has a real whoosh sound to it when under boost i have a friend with the same car as mine and my turbo isdefiantlylouder than his . i am currently looking into the EGR valve as i am led tobelievecapping it off may help with the issue but i am unsure . can you help ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im getting the plate to cap off the EGR valve tommorrow ill let you know what happens ... simon

·
Registered
195 Posts
is there actually an aftermarket part for this, I've been thinking of doing it myself, with a bit of coke can or something, care to link to where you bought it (if it was online).

sorry, unable to help past my inital Qs,

cheers, Tim

·
Registered
702 Posts
timtheenchanteruk said:
is there actually an aftermarket part for this, I've been thinking of doing it myself, with a bit of coke can or something, care to link to where you bought it (if it was online).

sorry, unable to help past my inital Qs,

cheers, Tim

I've read some where maybe here or the other forum where guys have used coke can metal to block the EGR valve first before buying the blanking plate after the coke can proved that was the problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also it should stop the smoking and give you back the extra power that has been lostOne quote i came across said "You dont know how slow your car is until its fixed with the blanking plate"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
right im back with the part fitted . and wow it started to smoke real badly for 30 mins then it cleared andminutebyminutethe power cam back to me . there is now loads of power at the top end still a tad sluggish at the low end of the revs . BUT IT WORKS>......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok this is the last message from me . Just to say that my kia sedona 2.9 diesel is working better than ever , i have all my power back and it does NOT smoke one little bit . perfect . you really dorealizehow slow your car is after its fixed ..

I hope this has help a few of you out there and if there is anything which i can help you lot with just let me know .. tick the LIKE box

·
Registered
390 Posts
s1mon said:
ok this is the last message from me . Just to say that my kia sedona 2.9 diesel is working better than ever , i have all my power back and it does NOT smoke one little bit . perfect . you really dorealizehow slow your car is after its fixed ..

I hope this has help a few of you out there and if there is anything which i can help you lot with just let me know .. tick the LIKE box
Hi Brilliant and well done. Where do you actually fit/bolt the cap plate to?
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The egr valve has a pipe that runs from the top of theengineto the front , next to the air filter. remove the air filter and holder for it Then undo the bolts holding the pipe on to theengineand the nuts holding the pipe to theengine, there will only be two nuts which are an 8mm bolt with a 10mm 12mm head then insert the capping plate and re-tighten everything ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
By doing this, did you have any engine management lights of any kind come up on your dash. Errors, etc?

I did this to my last bus (import Toyota Emina) and it made a difference to the power and mpg, small but a better difference.

I did not want to do this incase of EMI coming on all over the place, and have to a limp home mode come on.

I have got an 08 plate auto 2.9 Sedona and would like to do the same.

·
Registered
390 Posts
s1mon said:
The egr valve has a pipe that runs from the top of theengineto the front , next to the air filter. remove the air filter and holder for it Then undo the bolts holding the pipe on to theengineand the nuts holding the pipe to theengine, there will only be two nuts which are an 8mm bolt with a 10mm 12mm head then insert the capping plate and re-tighten everything ..
Hi. Thanks any chance of a photo?
Steve Gx Blackpool

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep i will get a photo asap ..

and no there are no engine management lights that come up.it hasabsolutelyno affect on the car except to improve the performance and stop the smoking .

my egr cap has been in a week now and still runs perfect.

The egr pipe runs between the air box and the engine block .. cap it at the front of the engine its easyer . you can do all this from the top of the engine bay.

Trust me it very easy ..

·
Registered
390 Posts
s1mon said:
yep i will get a photo asap ..

and no there are no engine management lights that come up.it hasabsolutelyno affect on the car except to improve the performance and stop the smoking .

my egr cap has been in a week now and still runs perfect.

The egr pipe runs between the air box and the engine block .. cap it at the front of the engine its easyer . you can do all this from the top of the engine bay.

Trust me it very easy ..
Hi S1mon. On this pic is this where you have fitted the blanking plate?
Thanks Steve Gx Blackpool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi there .. yes at the front of theengine bay is where to fit the blank plate ,, ensure you re-use the old gasket ..

remove the pipe , leave the gasket attached to the main engine block , insert the blank plate onto the bolts on the engine block , and re-fit the pipe .. good luck , simon

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have compared your picture with my engine bay and its
different (no picture of mine). I have no vacuum pipe and no egr valve like the
one you have shown. There is a pipe from the exhaust manifold that goes to a
some control module with electric connections on top, then the pipe goes along
the side of the engine (like yours shown) and connects to the intake manifold.
A little different in shape but the same function I guess.

My fear is that EMI lights will come up all over the dash
and it's a reversal of all that blocking and a reset by a KIA dealer.

I feel happy blocking the egr at the intake manifold end because
it's easier, just fear it all going pear shape(because of the cost a KIA, not because
I haven't got any).

Will take some pictures and load them if I can get someone
to help will the I.T. bit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts