Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently noticed a fairly strong smell of Acetone when the car is up to temp. I switched off the air con and the smell disappeared. Does anyone know why the air con would begin to smell like this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Air con can emit funny smells if its not used very much - not surprisingly it happens most often in the winter. Something to do with bugs growing in the air con tubing and filters. Motor accessory shops usually have an air con aerosol cleaning product. You set car air con to recirculate (fans fully on if you have a choice)and set off the aerosol within the car (theres a clip to keep it on permanently) - you evacuate immediately ! and wait till the aerosol is finished. Aerosol costs about £15 and its single use !

Manufacturers recommend using air con for at least ten minutes a week even if its mid winter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used one of the aircon deodourants. It seems to have worked. :)
My aircon is on all the time as I generally have the climate control set to auto. It insists that the aircon is active. I was thinking of looking at the pollen filter but does anyone know where it lives and how to get at it?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Open glovebox and look for a stopper on right side I think and remove it by turning it.
Once the glovebox is lowered look into the opening and you will see a horizontal filter casing. On the right of the casing there is two tabs squeeze them together and remove pollen filter.
And Bobs yer Uncle.

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers Davy.
I'll have a look this weekend.

·
Registered
755 Posts
megget said:
Air con can emit funny smells if its not used very much - not surprisingly it happens most often in the winter. Something to do with bugs growing in the air con tubing and filters.
It's usually water left in the trunking when the car is switched off. Advice I have seen is to turn the aircon off several minutes before the end of a journey.

Manufacturers recommend using air con for at least ten minutes a week even if its mid winter.
This is to stop the pump seals from drying out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts