Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had this problem for over a year now(smell of fumes or something in the car?)-mentioned at the last 5 services,but dealer say they cant find a problem-anyone else getting this?
i have 111,000 on the clock now and im a taxi driver so just going to local garage for servicing now-
im interested to know what other problems people have had?
under warranty ive had-
1,anti roll bar
2,clutch master cylinder
3,radiator
4,egr valve
5,another anti roll bar
6,front wiper linkage(at 50,000 miles)
7,engine management light came on about 12 times(at least) under warranty-mostly fault was'diesel particulation filter' and 'cat convertor'

warranty ran out at 100,000 and since then ive had to replace:_
1,front wiper linkage(yes,it went a second time!!! at just over 100,000)and kia wouldnt replace it under warranty as it was just over 100,000 and taxis only get 100,000 warranty(even though the the part only lasted 10months!!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Re warranty claims Kia isn't the only one that will not replace an item if the warranty has expired. My van got a new turbo when it was still in warranty and about 7 months later some thing broke off the inside of the turbo and slashed the rubber hose that clamps to the turbo. Verve would not replace turbo or hose as the part was fitted under warranty and when your warranty expires your on your own. I said but surely the turbo comes with at least a years warranty on its own and there answer was if I had paid for the turbo then yes it would have a warranty but because it was done under a warranty claim then no.
I personally thinks its sh*t and its a get out for these manufacturers.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The deal with any warranty claim like the one above where the main warranty cover will expire but the parts warranty is for 1 yearis as follows by law
because you did not pay for the part then its cover belongs to the purchaser in this case the manafacture its at his discression whether he can process a claim for the failure of that part some will if they purchase the part from a supplier but if they manafcture the part themselfs most will not

so the thing to do is to pay 1p towards thepart this then entitles you to a share of the parts warranty this applys to all goods i did this with a laptop and got it repaired out of its warranty period

·
Registered
27 Posts
I HAD THIS PROBLEM AS IF YOU ARE GETTING DIESEL FUMES IN THE CAR. THE DEALER TOLD ME THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG. IT SEEMS IF IT BEING DRAWN IN BY THE HEATER WHEN STATIONARY, SORRY I CANT REOCMEND ANYTHING OTHER THAN TURN THE FAN OFF WHEN IN HEAVY TRAFFIC AND SEE IT HELPS

·
Registered
476 Posts
I had this on my original Mk3, it was the flexi pipe at the top end of the exhaust, changed under warranty after less than 20k, the mech said it was very hard to spot as the pipe is buried behind something & you can't see the break til after it's been removed. No similar problem with my 2nd Mk3, yet!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, i have just bought a 2003 Carens, CRDI, not a carens 11, and has the 16v 138 bhp engine, which i think is the same unit as yours, i also have oily smells in the car when using vent from outside, i have looked at the air intake seals under the bonnet, they are loose, they may need replacing, also i suspect there are other seals that may have fallen apart on the air intake. The smell does remind me of a blocked breather valve on previous cars, also if you look at back of engine you may see lots of oil on the engine and parts that have dripped down from oil changes. This if goes on anything hot is gonna smell, so i am going to get a proper steam clean done. The smell is only when stopped, if i use the internal air system you don't get those smells. my car has done 99,000 and has the vibration at 1500 rpm and clutch drag in 1st gear, can you help on that problem. Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you have bought a 2003 car it will be a Mk2 with the 112bhp engine unless someone has transplanted the newer engine into it (which I very much doubt due to the complete difference in the emissions, exhaustetc.), the 136bhp engine did not appear until 2006 on a 56 plate.
If you have vibration at 1500rpm & a dragging clutch then that also confirms my suspicion this is a Mk2, very common problem with that model. You can take a chance & change the clutch to see if that cures the problem but if the gearbox is faulty you will need a rebuild, appx cost £500.

As for the oily smells let us know if they are still there after your steam clean & be aware of the electrics when doing that, they don't like water up em at that kind of pressure!

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI Thanks for your reply, and i have to tell you the engine is the same as the 2004 carens 11 crdi 16v, my car is a late 2003 Nov, LX model, i be happy to send photo of the cam cover stating 16v, its had 2 owners from new, and think no new engine been fitted, numbers all match up, i hope gear box drag in 1st gear wont be a big prob, i worked at ford dealers as qualified mechanic, new cars had clutch drag in 1st gear, i had to reface clutch plate, and change plastic thrust bearing to a solid metal jobby, that cured new fords, however if layshaft bearings going then it will be a rebuild, but g/box is ok, new clutch assembly should cure it if a clutch bleed does not, i just do a double clutch for 1st gear, and engine is so good i cAN pull away in 2nd , lot of car for the money, my galaxy died, 150k cheers

·
Registered
476 Posts
You are confused I'm afraid.
LX models from 2003/2004 are a Mk2 Carens & have a 112bhp engine mated to a 5 speed box, yes the engines are 16v!

GS models are from 2006 onwards (like the picture in my avatar) & are 136bhp mated to a 6 speed box.

Check out the 2 seperate reviews on Parkers for confirmation, I have posted the appropriate link for your year/model below.

If the clutch change doesn't sort your problems then come back for more info on the needs of the gearbox, you are obviously quite technical & maybe capable of doing what's necessary yourself.

Mark.

Edited by: Supacabby

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi thanks for your info, something is wrong with the spec, look at amount of valves, Parkers state 8 Valve spec and BHP etc, so do many others, i have found this out, the 16v engine has different BHP, emissions etc etc, can you see what i am getting at. i dont have a 8v jobby and how could it be possible for the same BHP and emissions as a 8v ? Cheers.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Back to my original reply: If you have bought a 2003 car it will be a Mk2 with the 112bhp engine unless someone has transplanted the newer engine into it.
I have never heard of a Mk2 with the uprated engine, maybe it was a continental offering at the time or something similar, the 136bhp defo did not arrive in the UK til 2006 in the 1st of the Mk3's.
Just a thought, is it simply an "engine cover" with the 16v or have you had confirmation from a Kia dealer that it is defo the later engine? (obviously ignoring any sales pitch details!)

If you don't have a friendly local dealer can you take a pic of the engine bay without the cover & post it for someone to confirm? There are 2 very helpful Kia guys on this forum who would know it at a glance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts