Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sometimes when been on a short journey get a smell of overheated clutch never happens on a long journey or when towing caravan , any thoughts ??

·
Registered
197 Posts
I suspect Bob is right. The topic has been discussed before but as threads are often 'hijacked' there isn't an obvious title in the list. Basically the diesel particulate filter 'burns off' soot periodically (regeneration) and you can detect a stronge burning smell from the exhaust while this is happening (normally not while you are inside the vehicle though). The frequency of the burn depends upon the amount of soot accumulated and this in turn relates to your driving habits - short journeys when the engine does not reach full working temperature causes a lot of soot to accumulate - a fast open road journey normally allows the soot to burn without regeneration. This affects all modern diesels and in some makes means that they are unsuitable for city only driving. The price we all pay for 'clean air'.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys had previous problems with ?? reburn valve replaced under warranty , going well otherwise
( thats done it now lol)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I guess it was the EGR valve? Yet another part of an emission system with dubious benefits. These things cause trouble with lots of different diesels. Personally, I steer clear of supermarket fuel and I know several people who have had problems with the EGR as a result of poor quality fuel bought at supermarkets. It maybe a less than 1% issue but the hassle if you are one of the 1% is massive.

Richard

·
Registered
682 Posts
As Richard has stated, If I run mine on *hell fuel it runs much smoother and I seem to get much better MPG !!

Bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,
I had a smell of Sulphur (bad eggs) last month but not had it since, and i thought it was the DPF cleaning it's self but im not sure ???

Same as passa, i always use *hell as on the A57 sheffield to worksop its at £1.40 and is the cheapest in the area (Tesco £1.42, Sains £1.42 etc) so who said supermarket fuel is cheeper than *hell ?????? lol

·
Registered
536 Posts
A sulfur smell is more likely to be the battery. Dad had the cells boil dry on an old mondeo years back and it wreaked of eggs. Got the very same smell when the cells on my boat battery were running low. Batteryfluid is Sulfuric acid in lead acid batterys. Its the sulfur "boiling off" along with O2 and H2 as the cathode and annode oxidize causingheat from the discharge process.

Not saying you have a problem or even if thats the cause, but the battery is warrantied for two years, if yours is younger than that it maybe worth asking for it to be changed?Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cheers Richie, I would never have thought of that, I will check it out in the morning to see what the electrolite levels are.

Thanks again

Lance

;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello all,

I justtook delivery of my 2012 Sportage (diesel EX)5 days ago. Yesterday as soon as I stepped out the car I smelled the burning smell and got really worried. It did it another two times after that.

However today no smell what so ever.

Can I be sure that it is the DPF regeneration? There is no way I can drive the car at 60km/h for 25 minutes as the manual says for it to clear, in Malta there is no spacefor that.

If I can be sure, can I have my mind at rest with it happening?

Thanks

N

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Malta Guy, with the limited amount of driving you can do, I would suspect the system may need to run through a couple of regens before the DPF is cleaned.
I know when I first had mine it did a couple of regens one after another, but now I notice it more on the move with a change in the exhaust note and a spiritely performance?

Bob

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes in fact it did it three times in a row on that night.

I've only had it for 6 days now, I have to see how often it does it. I also heard a contacting metal noise when I put it back in the garage which I positively recon is coming from the same thing.

I spoke with some guys at work, the Nissan Qasqai and Vauxhall Zafira both have the same symptoms so I recon its normal.

When the break in period is over (1000km) I would be in a better position to judge.

N

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I have just noticed this thread title.

Last week, on a visit to UK, I pulled up at son's house and all three of us could smell a very strong smell of what we thought at the time was a hot brake smell. The same smell but less intense was had next day.

I was concerned enough to take the sportage into a dealer and asked them to check the brakes, no fault found and no smell since.

Is it likely that it was not the brakes at all, I have never had such a smell before in the 40,000+ kms of having the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I had a caravan battery with the same problem, the rotton egg smell, this was also due to the cells overheating. Your local dealer/motor factors will be able to check the battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts