Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to the forum so sorry if this has already been asked but I had a quick look but couldn't see anything about it.
I have an Optima Gt line S and I'm looking at getting a set of wheels to use over winter and in wondering what the smallest diameter of wheel that you can put onto one of these?
Ideally I'd like to go for a set of 16" alloys as the wheels themselves and the tyres to put on them would be cheaper.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've been looking into this very same thing, measure the gap between the brake caliper and the inside of the wheel, depending on the amount you can then calculate how much of a smaller diameter wheel will fit still giving clearance for the caliper.

Also these excellent tools can help with finding the tyre sizes to maintain the same outside diameter of the stock tyre, the offset calculator is useful to find a wheel which will match the outer position of the stock wheel.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
And of course you will inform your insurance company. Not nice if you write it off and they won't pay out a penny.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have an Optima Gt line S and I'm looking at getting a set of wheels to use over winter
With great respect, unless you live in northern Scandinavia or Alaska, the easiest answer to winter driving in the UK is by fitting, not winter tyres, but the top-rated all-season tyres from the likes of Michelin, Goodyear or Continental. That way, there is no storage problem with wheels not in use and no need to change wheels twice a year.

From personal experience, if you travel in France much, I would recommend the Michelins as they are ubiquitous and if a tyre shop doesn't have your particular size in stock, they can usually get them within a couple of hours. That, to my displeasure proved a real difficulty in the wilds of central France when I needed a Continental tyre which not one of several tyrefitting places could supply any quicker than two days. That may have have changed over the last 12 years but I have run every car since on Michelin with the exception of a set of Hankooks on my Hyundai i40, duly replaced with Michelins.

The best all-season tyres today run the best winter tyres pretty close on traction in snow and on braking distance and last almost, but not quite, as long as regular summer tyres. When the time comes for a change of tyres on my Optima SW, I shall replace the OE Michelins with all-season ones.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Have a look on AUTOEXPRESS ONLINE WINTER TYRE TEST 2019.
I have winter tyres on my ceed as I go to Germany every winter, I purchased some new cheap alloys (at the time £50 each) and use Lassa snoways which are made by Bridgestone £80 each 225/45/17v same spec as my summer tyres. I change to them end of November to April and manage to get 25,000 out of a set with 4mm left when I replace as they start with 10mm.
Depends what you need them for as most winter tyres are rated at 112mph?, if in Germany there is no snow the 150 mph (v rated) comes in handy. Been in mega deep snow where other's were chaining up and never been stuck, great in the wet too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts