Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a small oil leak on my car since the clutch got replaced, it’s been dripping onto something hot as I’ve noticed a burning oil smell in the car when it’s stationary and is up to temperature, making a mess on my drive as well. Apparently it’s coming between the gearbox and drive shaft, could it be an engine seal? If so how much roughly will that set me back to get sorted?

any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Most likely a driveshaft oil seal which is seated in the gearbox. The driveshaft fits into this.
They are cheap, about £10.

Fitting it involves draining gearbox oil, taking out the driveshaft, fitting the new oil seal and refitting driveshaft.About 3 hours labour?

Get it done sooner than later, as its leaking gearbox oil, not engine oil. Not easily topped up by end user.

Could have been damaged whilst fitting clutch and driveshafts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been driving around with it for about 2/3 months now including long distance journeys however as I work over seas it’s currently parked up for the time being until I have the money to put it into the garage. Shouldn’t be an issue should it?
Most likely a driveshaft oil seal which is seated in the gearbox. The driveshaft fits into this.
They are cheap, about £10.

Fitting it involves draining gearbox oil, taking out the driveshaft, fitting the new oil seal and refitting driveshaft.About 3 hours labour?

Get it done sooner than later, as its leaking gearbox oil, not engine oil. Not easily topped up by end user.

Could have been damaged whilst fitting clutch and driveshafts.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is it leaking whilst stationary?
Gearbox getting noisy, stiff changes?
Usual capacity is 2l for a manual. Hard to say, depends on leak. If both answers no, should be ok to wait until fixed (no further driving).

Try and get some goodwill from garage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it leaking whilst stationary?
Gearbox getting noisy, stiff changes?
Usual capacity is 2l for a manual. Hard to say, depends on leak. If both answers no, should be ok to wait until fixed (no further driving).

Try and get some goodwill from garage?
Yeah it is leaking whilst stationary however very slowly, and have found a couple times it’s been stiff to get back into first but never any other gears

·
Registered
460 Posts
If its leaking 24*7, it will be touching empty by now. If its leaking for a short duration after a drive you may be ok. If it stops leaking or reduced leakingt then you know its near empty!

I would hold off driving it until fixed, otherwise you will be wearing out your drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
If your Ceed is a petrol 1.4 or 1.6 then you can actually reach and remove the fill plug from the top of the motor.
If you are a DIYer, then it would be worth removing the plug to see if oil comes out, perhaps lift the RH side of the car a shade if no oil runs out at first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts