Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Catalytic converter was stolen from my 2010 4wd XS Sportage. Kia dealer schematic (based on my reg and vin number) shows different exhaust system to that on mine (I have a sensor on the down pipe, dealers show sensor on the middle pipe). After market cat from BM Catalyst is not compatible for Slovakia produced Sportage.
So my question is, do Slovakia made sportage have a different exhaust set up to other regions? Could my exhaust system be an older or newer version with different part numbers?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Enter you VIN into partsouq.com to verify what is origional to your car. Its a free resource & will give you all exploded diagrams with OE part numbers. Mine is a 2010 CRDI bought from new & it has a temp sensor mounted on the CAT/ DPF combo unit ( wires go back up under drivers seat) along with the pipes that feed back to z differential pressure sensor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Enter you VIN into partsouq.com to verify what is origional to your car. Its a free resource & will give you all exploded diagrams with OE part numbers. Mine is a 2010 CRDI bought from new & it has a temp sensor mounted on the CAT/ DPF combo unit ( wires go back up under drivers seat) along with the pipes that feed back to z differential pressure sensor.
Thanks for the response. That's a great link.
Unfortunately it returns the same diagram as the dealer gave me and my actual exhaust system is different as mentioned above.
Fyi My car is petrol 4wd.
The fact that the aftermarket cat fits a petrol variant of the same model/year and not mine because it's made in Slovakia, suggests there might be two different cat types.
This would be backed up by the fact the official diagrams dont represent what is actually under my car.
I suppose I'm hoping someone can confirm if there is a different set up for Slovakian Kia's. If there is, they may have different part numbers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
my CRDI is build in Slovakia also...the diagrams on partsouq.com do match that is on the car and i bought the car new. Is It possible you have (had) an aftermarket exhaust system on it?
If I was in your shoes I would get an original exhaust from a dismantlers and fit it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did wonder if it could be an after market setup but it looked pretty old lol. Furthermore the dealer (and part souq) diagram show a sensor on the middle pipe. My car doesnt have a connector on the undercarriage in this area. The area a connector would be is closed. Instead the sensor is on the down pipe and the connector is there. I doubt all of this would have been changed to accommodate an aftermarket set up (but who knows).
The other telling point is that the after market converter (based on the official part no) specifically states "not for Slovakian production models". My car parts supplier queried this with the manufacturer and they said they dont produce that model. So clearly there must be a difference in the models but Kia only give one part no. currently.
Having spoken to Kia and parts dealers, it's not uncommon for variant models with various changes not be catalogued on the system.
However, I did notice that Part Souq gives the cat part no. as 28950-23640 whereas Kia and my parts supplier (given they use the official part no.s) have been using 28950-23756.
I plan to query this tomorrow.
Interestingly there is also a different part no. given by Kia and Part Souq for the middle pipe. The plot thickens!!!
I've called quite a few breakers and none of them have this model in.
This was meant to be the easy bit. Yet to devise a method to deter thieves from stealing the cat again!
Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
6,769 Posts
Could it be that you reg is 2010, but the car is actually a pre 2010 model?

·
Registered
113 Posts
From the W/S manual for the petrol 4wd version it looks like 2 different exhausts were fitted one with the cat at the manifold in the down pipe and one with the cat in the first horizontal section after the flexi joint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could it be that you reg is 2010, but the car is actually a pre 2010 model?
Hi thanks for commenting.
Dates in reg doc are all 2010 but I did think this too hence reference to "newer or older models" in the original post.
Seems very weird but hopefully resolve it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,769 Posts
Hi thanks for commenting.
Dates in reg doc are all 2010 but I did think this too hence reference to "newer or older models" in the original post.
Seems very weird but hopefully resolve it tomorrow.
It's not about registration date though. It's about manufacture date.
Remember cars can sit a long time both outside factory & also when imported awaiting someone to choose the colour/spec of the car.

Certainly back in 2010 seeing fields full of new cars was not a uncommon site.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not about registration date though. It's about manufacture date.
Remember cars can sit a long time both outside factory & also when imported awaiting someone to choose the colour/spec of the car.

Certainly back in 2010 seeing fields full of new cars was not a uncommon site.

Hi. Yes as stated reg docs I.e. DVLA issued V5 doc has all dates as 2010 for manufacture and registration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so as an update, it transpires that there is no aftermarket cat for this particular model (just my luck).
BM Catalysts have stated they have one in production but with no release dates (did I mention I was lucky?).
Only option is to buy OEM at double the price. Unfortunately, Kia UK dont have a single cat in stock, so at least a 4 - 8 week wait (Lucky is clearly my middle name!!!).

So that being said, does anyone know of a good car breakers in the south east/London area with a Korean car fetish?

·
Super Moderator
6,769 Posts
Ebay.

Don't know which area you are in but someone like Longlife stainless exhausts would be able to make a system.
Had one done for a 207CC and it was cheaper than normal exhaust places.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts