Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys on the way home from work tonight my clutch pedal went to the floor like the cable had snapped but i was still able to change gears ok..on closer inspection all was well with my cable. So now the car wont rev above 2.5 rpm with the speed round about 20 25mph..if i try to accelarate above this the revs go up and nothing happens..is my clutch needing replaced ? if so is this a big job and most importantly how much will this cos to replace ? My car is a 55 kia picanto manual with 42.000miles.

thanks very much for any help i may get with this issue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
it does sound like clutch slipping = new clutch plates, I have no idea re cost, but prob £200 - £400if its under warrenty, which i doubt then go to kia or proper garage otherwise just get some quotes from a trusted garage, due to engine size prob not a big deal for a garage

(the above is said in good faith)

·
Registered
536 Posts
clutch wont be causing the engine not to rev above a set RPM. Not unless if binding but then i wouldnt expect it to be always at the same RPM. Its a strange one. Would keep the millage down to a minimum untill you have it looked at. Anymore driving around could cause gearbox or other failures. keep us informed what you find

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replys.. Richie the cars revs are fine not restricted in any way..i may have described it wrong..what i mean is the car has no power above 2000rpm the rev range increases but no power..hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Of course, replace all 3 parts, friction plate, pressure plate and release bearing. False economy just replacing 1 or 2 items.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guys forgot to come back on and give an update..Yes as suspected it was my clutch plate that needed replaced so i the Garage got a full clutch kit and replaced all parts.The car is now back on the road running better than ever ! Cost was £180 and thats for the clutch kit and the labour.

chers for all the help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi there snake16v,
I also live in scotland and just wondered what garage you used as this is a very good price for parts and labour. I think my clutch is on its way out!! so will need replacing very soon. I have a pica 1.1 se 54 plate at 70,000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts