Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, Hoping for some words of wisdom here. I have owned a 2005 kia 2.5 XSE for about a year now and have been mightily impressed except for 1 nagging issue. Cruising through Honest Johns forum I noticed some XT alloys maybe causing issues with the slip sensor sending incorrect messages to the transfer box. Anyone else had experiance of this and do I need to do to cure it? Software or a new set of smaller alloys? The effect is difficult to discribe when driving so I always struggled to define it but yeah I guess it maybe the electronics trying to send conflicting messages to the 4WD transfer box.
Thanks for any advice in advance

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Shifter
There has been threads in this section regarding front prop shaft lubrication and transfere box oil issues.

Do a search to find out more.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Its not the wheels, although the 18" wheels tend to exagerate the issues, keep the newest deepest tread on the rear wheels and all should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, bit of an update after trawling throughforums I found a similar issue that was negated by removing the TCC fuse (13, 20 amp drivers footwell) and running in permant 2WD. Done this and the Sorento is purring. Now for normal running this wont be an issue but looking further ahead to bad weather and towing a heavy caravan off a muddy CL it might not be to practical. So I guess its to the dealers for some service. Has anyone else been down this road before and the question I'm now posing is will driving like this have an adverse effect on any components

·
Registered
887 Posts
Are your deepest tread depths on the rear of the car, if not you will get a 'square wheel/sudder/bottle blowing' sensation whilst turning or on overrun, pulling the fuse simply removes 4wd, a cure is out there, tyres cause 99% of the problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Try 4 new tyres, all four wheels have to be the same diameter on a 4WD system without a slipping clutch in the transfer box,if you replaced only 2 tyres in the past you have to fit one to the front and one to the back,this allows the differentials to spin rather than winding up the trasnfer box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, I am loathe to change the tyres to be honest, I have 2 new Mich's on the front which look as good as new and two good ones on the back. I will swop them but they look very good. Its due a service this month as well so will get a full set of diff oils changed as well.

Just re read your post sumpcracker and I see you mention tyre diameter, missed that 1st time around I will recheck that 1

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't bother changing tyres, both our sorentosdid it on brand new tyres we have had 2 brand new sorentos an XS in 2007 and XT 2009both did it, the XS had all the internal clutch plates etcchanged in the transfer box and never did it again was perfect. The XT was only2 weeks old when it started and is now 6 months old but still hasn't been fixed as they have not yet changed all the internals in the transfer box, they keep trying different things first, i.e oil changes etc. My guess is that once they agree to repair the same way as they did on theXS then it will be fixed I hope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh Dear, hate talking money but that repair looks expensive, mind if I ask? I like to be prepared. I still have a diamond warranty which should cover them repairs until November

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh! because our sorentos were new they were covered under the 3 year warranty so I don't actually know how much it would have cost, sorry. Your right though may be expensive. I would have thought if you have some sort of warranty it would go a good way to paying for it though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Shifter, I have a 2005 XT Auto with the Rimfire 18inch alloys, i,ve had it for 1year, I had the same prob with the wheels, it turns out that the tyres have to be within 3mm tread depth wear of each other between front and back. As the back wheels do most of the work and the front kicking in when any slip is detected you need to rotate your tyres front to back to get the full life from them. this means keeping a record of tyre wear and rotating when you get 1mm-2mm difference(pain in the but)Because I let this condition carry on for some time (about 6mths), it destroyed the transfer clutch which luckily they fixed under warranty.

It gets worse tho', if your unlucky enough to get a puncture when your tyres are midlife and have to replace one then you would need to change all 4 at once or the shuddering/ juddering would come straight back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts