Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have recently ordered a Rio Strike 1.4, and delivery is early January. I cannot wait to get my hands on the car, and have found the dealership very professional. However, I have read a quite a few comments by Rio owners on the web about persistant problems with scrubbing tyres and mixed reliability.

Is there anyone out there who can give me an earlyXmas present and re -assure methat theproblems have now been ironed out.

Many Thanks, and happy Xmas !!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Reliability is not an issue with the Rio's, they are bulletproof, far far better than any mainstream manufactuer!
In fact, since Rios launched, I can't actually remember any issues at all with the 1.4, done a few turbos on the diesels, but that was more down to servicing issues (i.e very late services) rather than a problem.
Your peace of mind is, should anything go wrong, kias warranty is cast iron, factory backed rather than dealer based as some are.
Tyre were an issue, but seems to be fixed now.

·
Registered
328 Posts
murphwiz, you speak from experience (which is good).

I have wondered how these Rio's fare in real life (long term - as I plan to keep my diesel for a longtime).

Do you have any tips for us owners ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can't really call any cars reliability bullet proof although Kia's appear to be superior to Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Fiat in terms of overall reliability, hence the long warranties.

I have had 5 Ceed SW's since the launch in 2007. Four high powered 1.6 diesels and a 2.0 Sport diesel.

I do 10K and then change for another one so you could call me a convert, as i do have a choice of 12 other manufacturers.

The 1.6 diesel left gearbox oil on my drive after 50 miles. Turned out to be a 50p seal. Got fixed without hassle. I then noticed the engine was hesitating at certain revs at virtually the same place en-route to work. Again turned out to be an ECU software issue which was updated and went trouble free after that.

The second and third 1.6 LS diesel's did 10K with no glitches. The 2.0 Sport needed a new fuel filter after 5k, again got replaced hassle free and fine after that.

The current car, again a 2010 1.6 LS high powered diesel is brilliant. Still only done 1000 miles, but you can tell they've ironed out all the little niggles from the previous versions. Even the heater temperature responds now.

The moral of the story is that the Kia's i have owned have been generally very good, have improved with each production cycle, although i haven't clocked up more than 10K on each one. More importantly the fixes have been quick and diagnosed first time. More niggly issue's than unreliability.

Now i could write a book on some of the nightmares i've had with so called "popular European cars". But that's another story completely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts