Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I have just bought a 2006 sorento 2.5crdi xs. I have noticed that I seem to be 'sliding' the back end on the car a lot on some corners even if the road is not icy/wet. I am not a 'fast' driver and have found this quite unsettling. The tyres on the car are virtually new and at correct pressure - according to info sticker on door pillar.

The tyres do differ front and back - the front are geolander; back are dueller.

I have also noticed that the clutch pedal seems 'heavy' - is this normal? And there is quite a 'clunk' when changing gears at times though not all the time - dealer has looked at this and said could find no fault.

Any advice for a new sorento driver would be greatfulkly recived thanks!

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
It is always advised on 4 wheel drive to have all tyres the same and to rotate them round to keep wear even,so that uneven load is not put on transmission.Cant comment onclutchas i have Auto

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. However, does anyone have any ideas on why the back end of the car seems to have so little grip?I have also read elsewhere on the forum that the 4wd system is not permanently engaged on an XS model, however, the handbook states "AUTO Full power delivered to front and rear axle or increased traction. Use this mode for normalon-road driving". Just wondering then which is correct? Is the 4wd always engaged or is it rear wheel drive under normal use and only engages when lack of grip is detected on froont wheels. Cheers!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
fazzini If you go into your "members control panel" at the top of the page and put your car details in the signature box, every time you post a comment it will automatically appear so that you don't have to type it every time.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Shaz said:
Fully agree davy filling in the signature box with your car details is a great help....... whats yours?
Shaz mines a 2006 Seat Leon 2.0TDI 140 Remapped to 185. I've had a Mentor 1.6SLX, 2 1.4S and SR Ceeds and a Rio 1.5CRDI Zapp for 2 and half years which I traded for the Leon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for that - signature updated. But, I'm still no further forward on the lack of grip issue? Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
Tyres need to be the same as different manufactures tyres, of the same size and profile have different characteristics.When off road on grass if you floor accelerator from standstill do wheels on both axles spin or are you loosing drive to front.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the same tyres front and rear now - both are yokohama geolander - the front ones were put on the car when i bought it so have had the new ones put on the rear wheels. Front tyres have probably done 1000 miles tops. Haven't been off-road yet but when i get the chance i will test this out. Cheers

·
Registered
101 Posts
glad you have now yokohama geolander tires all around. if you did read my .pdf attachment then you will understand how important this is to keep your sorento tod happy. also keep those tires rotating to keep the tread the same. max 2 mm different but less is better.

the sorento mk1 and fl do have rear wheel drive and it will breakoutquiteeasilywhen on slippery surface. the reason is described in that document but has to do with the computer needs to sense that the rear axle is spinning faster then the front axle and then applies power to the front.

so the rear axle will need to spin faster then the front axle BEFORE it applies power to the front axle. this is done by the tod what has amagneticclutch pack controlled by the tod computer;

Edited by: bitman

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
I have had my motor nearly 8 years now and have always kept tooriginaltype tyres with no problems which are Hankook

·
Registered
101 Posts
WENDY1 said:
Hi I can't access that pdf file. thanks.

still no luck? i did had one of my web servers inmaintainsso time ago, upgrading the os, so you might have been caught out.

WENDY1 said:
I skidded quite badly last Friday changing tyres what's the best or what would you advise thanks Wendy1
<br ="apple-interchange-newline"="">

it all depends what you want to do, street, snow, mud etc and what budget you have really.

Edited by: bitman

1 - 19 of 19 Posts