Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any ideas how to open frozen sliding doors on our 2007 Sedona GS.
We've only had 2 cold mornings so far this year and both times we just cannot get the rear (manual) doors to slide open. Had the heater on full blast for 10 mins hoping to defrost it - nothing!

Wife is getting a bit stressed because she cannot get the baby+seat in the car!

Before anyone suggests the putting it in the garage overnight, please remember this is the Sedona message board!! I think i might be able to shoehorn it in oncebut i'd never get it out again, not without pulling the house down!!

I tried looking for places to aim my de-icer but the mechanism is not visible when the door is stuck shut!

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Try a kettle of hot water. Then lube the locks, sliders and any other catches with white spray grease. Could it be the rubber door seals that are frozen to the body. Give the seals a rub with a little vaseline.

·
Registered
144 Posts
davy said:
Try a kettle of hot water. Then lube the locks, sliders and any other catches with white spray grease. Could it be the rubber door seals that are frozen to the body. Give the seals a rub with a little vaseline.

Ooo Errr!

No help im afraid, just wanted to comment on the vasaline

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi we have the same problem of freezing door seals
have to climb in front doors and push open from inside.
dont think vaseline is good for door seals
is there a proprietary compound for this?

weez

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You could also use Castrol Red Rubber grease. Its used on brake rubber seal parts and does not swell or deteriate the rubbers.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would try it on a small bit of the seal first. Just to see if there is a reaction like swelling. It should be ok but it wont last as long as vaseline or rubber grease.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks for that Davy
The doors opened Ok this morning
will try and treat after xmas.
wont be going out today.

Let Santas Reindeer come to me.

wee-z

Edited by: wee-z

·
Registered
1 Posts
We live in Vermont and struggle with the manual sliding doors on our '07 Sedona LX freezing. Last week, I spent about 45 minutes liberally cleaning and wiping every door seal with silocone spray. The very next day, my wife and I went into a movie and came out to frozen doors. I really thought it was going to work, so I was disappointed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm almost pleased others have struggled with freezing sliding doors. For a while i though it was just me.

We have got around this problem bycarefully closing thesliding doors withan old thin cotton bed sheet between the top of the door and the rubber seal. I'm convinced that this is the bit that has been freezing. The car looks ridiculous with a bed sheetdraped over the doorbut at least we can open the doors now!

I triedpouring warm water over the top of the door/sealbut that almost froze on impact last weekat -10.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts