Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I finally have a date and now i am thinking if to spend a few more quid and get the front/back skid plates added as treat!

I have got the side step added already, but cannot think if i should get the skid as well or if it will look OTT? anyone already got them? can you post a piccy?

Cheers
Abi

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Mylee I don't suppose you have any pictures of your car with the skid plates on you could post.

I have got a white 1.7 K3 on order and I debating whether to get the skid plates on mine or not. I was even considering even getting them colour coded to the car.

Regards Gareth.
Edited by: gazbo

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for trying mylee.

Yours looks very nice WD. I was in two minds whether to go for black, But the indoor boss made the final decision for white

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Nice car WD!

However, I'm more interested in your drive.

It looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for. Are they individual cobbles or is one of those moulded concrete jobs?

·
Registered
974 Posts
gazbo said:
Thanks for trying mylee.

Yours looks very nice WD. I was in two minds whether to go for black, But the indoor boss made the final decision for white

Thank you - I was also undecided on black / white, but as she has her own car, the decision was mine ""¦

WD
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
974 Posts
Techno said:
Nice car WD!

However, I'm more interested in your drive.

It looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for. Are they individual cobbles or is one of those moulded concrete jobs?

They are individual :<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I got a good price (cheaper than my cheapest quote for bloc paving) as I approached the contractor that was ripping them up for the council ""“ they also laid them for me

Due to the source, some of the cobbles are a little damaged but this was more than compensated for by the price differential

They were set on a semi dry concrete mix, in total the level before laying was about 12 ""“ 14""� lower than the finished height. I poured the bitumen (supplied by them) ""“ that was one hell of a job ""¦

In hindsight, the part of the drive you cant see on the original pictures above (about twice the size that you can see on the pictures above) is on a little bit of a slope ""“ the bitumen wasn't the best idea as A) I put to much in so B) is runs out a bit in summer ""“ but its easy to chisel off the excess in winter.

The bitumen is great on the level surface. I am in the process of encouraging a few bits of moss, algae and rock plants to grow between them.

WD

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
That is exactly what I want to do but I was wondering how the bitumen would behave on a slope. Unfortunately, my drive slopes down from front to back so it looks like it might be a bit of a problem. I wonder if it is possible to get higher melting point stuff.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yeah, I guess different ones are available ""“ a high heel would indent mine on a hot day but there are cobbles poured with bitumen in my local town centre and they are OK.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I spent a lot of time leveling mine with a blowtorch but in hindsight it wasn't needed ""“ a hot summer would have done the same job, just over a longer period of time. The cobbles in the town center don't have level bitumen and they have been down years.

The bitumen is gloss black when it first goes down ""“ looks strange till it dulls off.

If you do it yourself, here are a few tips I found out ""“ most of them the hard way ""¦

<UL style="MARGIN-TOP: 0cm" =disc>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">The cobbles (and between them) must be dry ""“ any dampness or water and it will spit like mad.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">Don't wash / brush the cobbles to much before pouring ""“ the layer of dust you will clean off actually helps you if you spill / splash the bitumen as it will chip off easily rather than instantly bonding to the surface.</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">I cooked the bitumen in the cans it came in but make sure you ventilate the can well ""“ one big hole for pouring and one big hole at the other side. If the holes aren't big enough gasses seem to build up inside and will then flash then you move it i.e. When you pour it into the watering can (taking your eye brows and lashes in the process ""¦
)</LI>
<LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt">White spirt is the best hand / tool (and face !) cleaner, buy it by the gallon.</LI>[/list]

WD

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Thanks for that.

I was going to look for a tar boiler on eBay. What did you use? I can't imagine Mrs T would be too happy with me using the kitchen stove.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Techno said:
Thanks for that.

I was going to look for a tar boiler on eBay. What did you use? I can't imagine Mrs T would be too happy with me using the kitchen stove.

How about a bitumen pot used for flat roof felting?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Pick up my white one on monday. Going to seriously consider talking to my local dealer about getting some of those bad boys fitted now i have seen them on a real car and not an airbrushed brochue picture

·
Registered
974 Posts
Techno said:
Thanks for that. 

Sorry, I missed this ...

The contractors who lifted them for the council / put them down for me, loaned be one of those burners you see them using for burning road markings off - kind of like a double Bunsen burner / flame thrower.

Three bricks in a U shape, tin of bitumin on top (it came in steel drums - see my warning on venting them above !), burner positioned blowing into the U under the tin. The tins were large (maybe 25 L - will check), you will also need some welding gloves to pic it up when it's hot and a steel watering can to pour it into so it can be poured between the cobbles.

WD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts