Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering about the sidesteps sold on direct 4x4. are these the same as the OEM ones?
i am asking because the OEM ones from the dealer would cost me aroun £1000 mounted. looked at the price and saw that the OEM sidesteps and front and back skidplates will cost me around £2000 mounted. these are the prices quoted by the dealer here in Norway.
What i was thinking was that i could save a lot by ordering them from direct4x4, and includint eh shiping and duty fees here i will pay less than half of the quoted price here from the dealer. But the question is that are the side steps from direct4x4 same as the OEM ones?, it says it fits on the website, but i was wondering if it fits flush and blends with the mudflaps just as the OEM ones do.
The skidplates require some drilling and the ones from direct4x4 are made of aluminium while OEM ones are ABS material. Oem ones are therefore lighter, but the other ones are cheaper for me.
Will have to ask the dealer if they could fit them for me in case i buy from direct4x4, because it has something to do with the warranty for the paint and body. they do a special treatment here with the body of the car, the paint and underbody to give it better protection from the harsh weather we get sometimes(if not most of the time).

And is there any menber from scandinavian countries here? would like to know where i can get accessories for the kia sportage.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
How much is a return trip on the ferry to the UK? Seriously!!

I know a chap in Norway who buys his car parts from the UK. Even with the shipping it costs him half what he would pay in Norway.

BTW I don't think the Direct 4x4 step/running boards are the same as the Kia ones.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Direct 4x4 steps are not the same, i e-mailed them to ask about the fitting brackets , the kia ones have 2 each side and direct 4x4 have 3, meaning you have to remove the plastic under tray and cut it to fit them, which you dont do with the kia ones. also the direct 4x4 steps seem stronger than the kia ones which seem more for show . I still have not decided which to get myself as i dont like the idea of cutting the tray, and on the other hand to fit the kia ones would mean removing my front mudflaps so making the redundant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Kiaman - Thought I would add and I hope this is helpful but I really don't think there is much in it to be honest the width of the kia side step against the coverage of the front mudflap - I have not noticed more road spray and dirt catching the side of the car since I removed the front flaps for the side-step. In fact I'd even argue the step provides better protectionright the waydown the side of the car.

Edited by: Seasider

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
kaivish why not buy the Kia OEM step running board thingies and fit them yourself.

You can get them on eBay here and they say that they will ship overseas.

Edit: It might be worth looking for other UK suppliers as Allen Ford are a not the cheapest supplier I have seen.

Edited by: Techno

·
Registered
451 Posts
I agree seasider, I was looking to try and get a wider step from direct4x4 to give more protection to the sides and rear doors but have stalled on the idea because of the plastic undertray, so I looked at some kia ones on a sportage at dealers and like the look of them but fitting them would mean wasting the money already spent on the flaps, do they give good protection to the doors ?, the main area of concern being the area that on new sportages are covered with film.

Kaivish, why not PM Viking Paul to get a price and see if he can post to you. You should get member discount then.
Edited by: kiaman

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all the the help and advice. So i guess I would have to stay with the kia OEM sidesteps then. they cost an arm and a leg here in norway, and the price quoted by dealer is included in it the mounting. Dont want to take the risk voiding the warranty by cutting the plastic under, especially they make special underbody treatments here for the cars, if someting happens, dealer would refuse to cover under warranty then.
can`t afford timewise to take a trip to the uk to get accessories. the best would actually for me to be able to order the parts from the internet and have them shipped here.
as mentioned by kiaman, i will try to pm viking paul so see if he can help me out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts