Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I switch on the cruise control in my new cee'd 2 SW CRDI?1 week old.
Had a quick look at the manual, but I'm no wiser.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Turn it on via the switch on the steering wheel so that the icon is on the dash. Then set it by pressing down on the right hand toggle on the wheel. Is holds your speed then you can adjust buy going up and down. It is in the manual somewhere

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ritchie,Much appreciated M8.
I'll give that a try next time out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just as a side note though. It also saying in the manual to not hold the same speed for long periods of time as part of the breaking in process. Silly as it sounds it might be worth just flicking between speeds now and again. After 1000miles are on the clock you should be fine though. I've herd on other forums that a engine that isn't broken in properly can be as much as 9% down on power and torque for the remainder of its life. I think this is also the main problem with people having poor fuel economy figures.Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ritchie,Thank you again for checking that I might have been an inexperienced driver. (no problem)
I am fully aware not tohold the same speed for long periods of time
as part of the breaking in process.
In the past every new vehicle I've had,has been run in over a period of 1,000 miles or more.

The bonus of doing so is better fuel economy and also they use muchless oil between services.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS. I tried out the cruise control today on a short shopping trip,
and I am most impressed with it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cruise controls a god send I love it in 20 mph zones I have a heavy right foot so it's ideal . Cruise control on radio up and chill :D

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dano said:
Cruise controls a god send I love it in 20 mph zones I have a heavy right foot so it's ideal . Cruise control on radio up and chill :D

What??

Firstly, I didn't know cruise control even worked at such low speeds! I always thought it was speeds above approx 35mph.

Secondly, if you are in a 20mph zone, then there is good reason for that speed limit due to potential hazards. Therefore you need to be in control of your car and ready to react to any sudden speed change. I can't imagine why anyone would want to use cruise control in a 20mph zone.

·
Registered
543 Posts
My cruise control starts at 19mph in my car , and I don't see how it can be dangerous in 20 mph zones ? It's not like you can't use the breaks or react as fast because you can it's just as easy as when it's off it . My cruise control is set to me personally using the car which I'm not sure if kia do this facility to have it set .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RichieD76 said:
Turn it on via the switch on the steering wheel so that the icon is on the dash. Then set it by pressing down on the right hand toggle on the wheel. Is holds your speed then you can adjust buy going up and down. It is in the manual somewhere
You're correct Richie,

I didn't read far far enough in the manual,
I stopped short at all the different pictures of the steering wheel switches.
My mistake, should have went another few pages.

·
Registered
536 Posts
No worries. Kinda found out that if I am going about 40mph in 5th and select cruise control I get a bit of a jerk reaction. As is it's hitting heavy on the accelerator for a fraction of a second. Let me know if you have the same issue?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dano said:
My cruise control starts at 19mph in my car , and I don't see how it can be dangerous in 20 mph zones ? It's not like you can't use the breaks or react as fast because you can it's just as easy as when it's off it . My cruise control is set to me personally using the car which I'm not sure if kia do this facility to have it set .
Interesting Dano... I'll have a play with mine and see if it works at such low speeds. I guess you must put it in 3rd gear and cruise at 20mph?

Personally I can't get my head round why I'd want to use it at such slow speeds though 20mph zones as they are by nature stop/start environments - hardly a prolonged period of maintained smooth speed.

But hey, each to their own.

·
Registered
543 Posts
3rd would be an ideal gear I personally use second because my car is so low ratio it does 20 just about in 2nd with out struggling .

I agree most of my local 20mph zones are long and with very little stopping . Some have schools which I usually avoid cruise control then .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I forgot which gear you said Rich,but I tried it in 4th gear and set it at 40mph and it was very smooth in the changeover no momentary jerk at all.
As a matter of interest, the manual states a minimum cruise control setting of 40 mph.
I would think that to use it at 20 -30 mph it might cause rough runningand may even cause the engine some damage or at least some excessive wear. (clutch, engine mountings etc.)
Under certain circumstances it could cause the engine to labour somewhat,
thereby killing fuel consumption and again causing engine wear.
Just my personal opinion.
No offense meant to anyone.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Found out what I was doing wrong. Selecting the cruise control but coming off the throttle straight away. So the engine was reapplying the throttle to maintain speed. Thanks for the input thought...was starting to think I had the bad apple

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I experienced that, although nowused to it. Engage cruise
control when accelerating and hitting say 70 then take foot off - adjust
accordingly. Eventually, you can get quite accurate without any jolting.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

1 - 17 of 17 Posts