1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was about to ask the same question on the forum. I picked up my new Sportage 3 yesterday and made enquiries regarding getting running boards fitted. I was quoted just over £600. I would definately go for them if they gave some protection in carparks.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You can buy them on Ebay for a few hundred, and apparently they just bolt on.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Thanks for that
however that is not really the answer I'm after

I know where to buy them

Are they a DIY fit ?

Has anyone else fitted them DIY

Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Chaps
Spoke to the vendor (KIA Dealer) who said

"No drilling needed, fitting
instructions are in the box and all the fixings, Would take two to four hours
to fit"

may benefit future buyers

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'm under the impression that all the bolt holes are already there, so no drilling or cutting to perform.
The side steps I've seen are advertised as including all brackets/bolts etc.

Onewould assume, it's just a matter of fasteneing the brackets to the steps, then fastening the whole assembly to the car.

A simple DIY job !!

·
Registered
47 Posts
i cannot speak for sportage running boards but on my suzuki certain car doors could still make contact with the car paint and yes simple to fit just bolt on, i did see a sportage at the dealers with running boards they looked very good seemed to link in with front and rear wheel arch plastics, i think the ebay ones are just as simple to fit but I think you cannot fit front mud flaps.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
We haven't got them fitted but I doubt they would provide much protection because of the curvature of the Sportage's sides...except, perhaps, from MG Midget doors.

Some people have fitted rubbing strips on the doors which may provide better protection.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I havent fitted side steps but to avoid car dings from other car doors if I use car parks I try to park in the furtherest part of the car park where no other cars are but sods law when I get back there will be a car parked next to me even if the car park is empty

·
Registered
107 Posts
notwold? said:
I havent fitted side steps but to avoid car dings from other car doors if I use car parks I try to park in the furtherest part of the car park where no other cars are but sods law when I get back there will be a car parked next to me even if the car park is empty
Yes, it's inevitable, isn't it.
I really don't understand why people feel they have to do this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi garynic, I Have Kia's side steps fitted. I managed to negotiate £350 for supply & fit with Romford Kia. They
do finish the look of the sportage, the raw edge at the bottom between the wheels dosn'toffend the
eye " if that sounds right" they do help to keep it cleaner and they may stop some saloon cars hit it
But a lot of carsarequite high. I have read that some after market steps & side bars youhave to take
the plates off the bottom of the car they stop the dirt covering the suspension and other parts with the
Kia ones they stay on. Hope this Helps
Lovely Black 17d Eco But the wife find it hard to keep clean

·
Registered
49 Posts
HeyI originally asked for the side steps, but when i collected it they had actually fitted the side bars which i actually like more. Either way i think both make a car the looks great already, greater.

I have added a photo of mine with side bars to the members pics if you want to look. I know they are also some there with the side step on too, so you can compare!

@Cokneysparrow.... my other half says he cannot believe i find it hard to keep mine clean... i think it must be a female thing :-D

·
Registered
48 Posts
garynic said:
Hi
Just a quick straightforward answer required if possible

Do the Running Boards helpprevent car park dings and dents ? ie will other cars hit that point first

Are they a DIY fit with no drilling required ? The ones I am after are here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-KIA-SPORTAGE-2011-INTEGRATED-SIDE-STEPS-3W370ADE00-NEW-/170798919018?pt=UK_Car_Exterior_Accessories&hash=item27c468ad6a

Thanks Very Much

Hello

So these are the Integrated side steps we're talking about here.

As for protection I doubt these will offer great protection against other car doors opening, however maybe they will offer protection again small stones springing up against your doors. I also have the side body mouldings fitted to mine which may offer protection against other car doors.

I have fitted them myself, and YES drilling is required. It is true that all the hardware and fixings is included in the box however one needs to cut a square hole in the plastic running board in order to expose the ready made hole beneath. In order to cut the square hole I first drilled a round hole with the electric driller then enlarged the hole with a sharp cutter (stanley cutting knife). The square hole is needed since the iron bracket mounting is square.

I also had to utilise a full car jack without which it would be impossible to fit them as all the work has to be carried out under the car. It took me 8 hours of very careful work, however I am very pleased with the result. Any questions welcome

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dear all,

Advice

I have had the side steps fitted last week on the car and was really disappointed with the fit, but I think thats more to do with the garage than the item!

They should fit flush to the car wheel arch, yes? One off mine has about a 5mm gap, it looks awful. I have made the garage buy in another set and refit. But then I get the line of, "there is a tolerance amount with these, they all dont sit flush". I side it was just poor workmanship.

What is you opinion. thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello,

There is a glue/putty (supplied in the box) that goes between the side step fitting and the wheel arch itself. If you leave the glue out when fitting you get the gap you mention.

I left mine out when fitting and the gap appeared, then I tightened the screws a little bit and pushed it a bit myself and the gap really narrowed, it is hardly visible.

I left the glue out on purpose as if in the future I decide to remove the side steps the glue would have marked the wheel arch and then it will become visible.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The instruction manual depicts clearly where the putty goes. Its not a quick job to fit these side steps properly, it took me a full day and a full car jack (or pit) is needed to do a good job, which I doubt a garage would be able to spare that much time without changing you a lot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had KIA running boards fitted. I think they look good but they definitely do not give any protection in terms of stopping a car door from hitting the side of the car. They are also pretty feeble and If you are on the larger size I wouldn't recommend standing on them!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts