Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for asking apparently dumb questions here.

Have had Sportage 1 week (Spec '2' level) and cannot fathom out Lights.

Understood that LED running lights are ON and at BRIGHTEST when headlights are OFF.

When I put side lights on (turn on via pod) the LED's go dimmer and seem to then act as sidelights.

Headlights ON just turn on the additional bulb(s). Main beam works OK.

So am I to believe that there are NO SIDELIGHTS on the Sportage other than those dimmer LED's?

I had expected at least to see extra lights on (from daylight LED's) and theyre even dimmer than daytime use.

I something not working correct?.

Another question PLEASE. Does the Spec level '2' have AUTO lights (so they come on and go off without my intervention?. If so how is this mode set?

MAYBE there is a tie in between the 2 questions.

Sorry to ask but I have seen better lights on cheapo vehicles.

The beam length also seems short AS WELL AS the lights appearing to rise on the left side when the beam is projected to the road (at night of course)

ANY ADVISE greatfully appreciated ;-)

THANKYOU.

·
Registered
35 Posts
spartan said:

Have had Sportage 1 week (Spec '2' level) and cannot fathom out Lights.

Understood that LED running lights are ON and at BRIGHTEST when headlights are OFF.

When I put side lights on (turn on via pod) the LED's go dimmer and seem to then act as sidelights.

Headlights ON just turn on the additional bulb(s). Main beam works OK.

So am I to believe that there are NO SIDELIGHTS on the Sportage other than those dimmer LED's?

I had expected at least to see extra lights on (from daylight LED's) and theyre even dimmer than daytime use.

I something not working correct?.

Another question PLEASE. Does the Spec level '2' have AUTO lights (so they come on and go off without my intervention?. If so how is this mode set?

MAYBE there is a tie in between the 2 questions.

Sorry to ask but I have seen better lights on cheapo vehicles.

The beam length also seems short AS WELL AS the lights appearing to rise on the left side when the beam is projected to the road (at night of course)

ANY ADVISE greatfully appreciated ;-)

THANKYOU.

Not sure what you are going on about with the lights themselves and the DRL's, the Sportage does have sidelights that come on, I think just to the outside of the light unit if I recall.

As for the Auto light control, the 2 doesn't have that feature, only 3 and above.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I too have just bought the same model of sportage and have the same query re the lights, did you find out if this is the case or that they were faulty?
many thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Surely if the car is new then all you need to do is take it back to your car salesperson and ask him/her to give you an in depth demo of controls. Maybe he/she can also explain why kia is set up as you say.

·
Registered
123 Posts
spartan said:

My Sportage 2 seems to have the sensor for automatic lights on the dashboard, the funny nobbily thing near the windscreen, but I don't think this spec has Auto lights.
So why have the nobbily thing fitted, unless it's for something else?

I can't seem to get intermittent wipers working on mine, unless it's actually raining! No good if you want to wipe away the early morning dew that keeps building up.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think the nipple on the dash is to do with temp ? The gf's mini also has one and that's not got auto lights

There is something under the first piece of glass on the roof but I can't make out what that is ? It's above / in front of the driver. If your on a step stool you can see a small rectangular hole in the black part of the glass and a window that's just heavily tinted ?

WD

·
Registered
537 Posts
The dash board nipple is the auto light sensor.<t></t><table style="border-width: 1pt; border-style: solid; margin-top: 5px; width: 100%; border-collapse: collapse; " border="1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="3" ns:myobj="urn:my-"><t><tr><td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1pt solid; BORDER-TOP: gray 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1pt solid" valign="top" width="50%" align="left">1. Auto light
sensor
2. Head lamps
Lighting switch (Auto)
</td>
<td style="BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1pt solid; BORDER-TOP: gray 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1pt solid" valign="top" width="50%" align="left">4. Tail lamps
5. SJB (Smart Junction Box)
6. BCM (Body
Control Module)
</td></tr></t></table>

Edited by: SlovaKIA

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Similar system fitted to the newer C4 Picasso - has lead to similar question on their forum! According to my (Venga) handbook, if you have auto lights, there is an "auto" position on the light switch, so you can have "off, side, head or auto". If there is no auto position, you have not got it (unless the Sportage is different - and probably is!).

·
Registered
448 Posts
Perhaps the auto lights sensor in the dash will be there on all specs so as not to have to manufacture two dash pieces! seems sensible to me.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
a9bnl said:
Perhaps the auto lights sensor in the dash will be there on all specs so as not to have to manufacture two dash pieces! seems sensible to me.

My Kids Fiat Punto has the dome, but nothing in it.
Like you say, why manufacture 2 different parts, when the same one will do for both jobs.

On thing it could be used for.

When the headlights are on, and it gets dark, the dash display dims.

Maybe this is what that dome sensor is for. ?

·
Registered
979 Posts
WD Pro said:
I think the nipple on the dash is to do with temp ? The gf's mini also has one and that's not got auto lights

There is something under the first piece of glass on the roof but I can't make out what that is ? It's above / in front of the driver. If your on a step stool you can see a small rectangular hole in the black part of the glass and a window that's just heavily tinted ?

WD
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
<?: prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">SlovaKIA</st1:place></st1:country-region> said:
The dash board nipple is the auto light sensor.

<TABLE =MsonormalTable style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; MARGIN: auto auto auto 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 100%; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; mso-border-alt: solid text 1.0pt; mso-padding-alt: 2.25pt 2.25pt 2.25pt 2.25pt" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=1>
<T>
<TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes">
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: gray 1pt solid; WIDTH: 50%; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1pt solid; : transparent" vAlign=top width="50%">
1. Auto light sensor
2. Head lamps
3. Lighting switch (Auto)</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: gray 1pt solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: gray 1pt solid; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 50%; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: gray 1pt solid; : transparent; mso-border-left-alt: solid gray 1.0pt" vAlign=top width="50%">
4. Tail lamps
5. SJB (Smart Junction Box)
6. BCM (Body Control Module)</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<?: prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape><a href="https://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/d2/uploads/6468/sslbe1415d.gif" rel="nofollow"></v:></v:shape>
Interesting ""¦

It must be dual purpose ? :

WD

·
Registered
537 Posts
<table style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; WIDTH: 100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" ns:myobj="urn:my-">
<t>
<tr>
<td style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" valign="top" width="12">

1.</td>
<td style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" valign="top">

The photo sensor is located at the right of defrost
nozzle.
</td></tr></t></table>
<table style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 6px; WIDTH: 100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" ns:myobj="urn:my-">
<t>
<tr>
<td style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" valign="top" width="12">2.</td>
<td style="PADDING-LEFT: 3px" valign="top">
The photo sensor contains a photovoltaic (sensitive to
sunlight) diode. The solar radiation received by its light receiving portion,
generates an electromotive force in proportion to the amount of radiation
received which is transferred to the automatic temperature control module so
that the solar radiation compensation will be performed.
</td></tr></t></table>

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's nothing, my £25k Citroen van has on and off and that's it!

It has side lights but you can't actually turn them on on their own.

I thought this was an actual requirement under EU law but could never get anyone to clarify it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts