Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's '56 plate Sedona not at all well.

Engine will start up first turn but..........put your foot down and will slowly rev to about 2500/3000. Smell of burning. No power.

Any ideas welcomed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Get it to a dealer and get the fault codes read to start with before you start replacing bits that are not needed or you damage the engine

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car was towed to very unhelpful dealer who told wife that "engine and turbo blown will cost you 5 to 7 grand to sort". He then told her the garage was busy and that if he didn't have go ahead by weekend would have to charge garaging fees for it.
As a result of this delightful chap's helpful attitude my good lady decided just to have the car towed home instead.

I therefore don't intend going back to the garage and will if necessary remove the engine myself and have it replaced. I would however prefer to see if there is possibly a simpler solution.

I find his statement that the engine is blown may be over the top as it is still starting no problem, so wouldn't have thought it's completely gubbed.

Grateful for any help and advice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
OK NAME AND SHAME THE DEALER OR ASK THEM FOR THEIR REASON FOR THIS DIAGNOSIS your still not going to have a diagnosis from any one here unless they have a crystal ball if it starts and trys to rev and its not pooring smoke out the back its not unfixable i would say can suggest a lot of bits but replaceing them one at a time is not the way to go

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, having a son in the legal profession, I know better than to name and shame when I have nothing in writing.

You get me wrong Viking Paul, I'm not on looking for a free diagnosis. Just some suggestionsand possibilities.

In the end I will probably go down the recon engine route after having some quotes done today, however, is that as easy as it sounds or do I need a pile of codes etc from Kia or what.

I contacted the garage again today to try and shed some light on the diagnosis only to be told that the diagnostics indicated that the engine and turbocharger were at fault. Wouldn't give me any more than that. Said I'd go to another dealer for a second opinion to be told that I could if I want as car on system but results would be the same???does this mean that once a diagnosis is made its logged and everyone sings from the same sheet???or are they at it?

Don't know, don't care. This is our 3rd Kia and never had probs before, would probably buy another in future but NOT from this source, happy to sell and service, but not happy to deal with problems.

Sorry if I ruffled anyones feathers (bloody newbies!!!) but totally unintentional.

Viking Paul said:
OK NAME AND SHAME THE DEALER OR ASK THEM FOR THEIR REASON FOR THIS DIAGNOSIS your still not going to have a diagnosis from any one here unless they have a crystal ball if it starts and trys to rev and its not pooring smoke out the back its not unfixable i would say can suggest a lot of bits but replaceing them one at a time is not the way to go

·
Registered
29 Posts
i would check not in any order ,exhaust make sure its not blocked or collapsed internally ,air filter has not sucked up a plastic bag or got choked,replace diesel filter its cheap and at least you know your getting full fuel ,you could always go to a garage with a code reader doesnt have to be kia

·
Registered
662 Posts
Lionhound
was not trying to say you wanted free diag as obviously you dont or you would have not taken it to thease idiots

for a recon engine no you dont need a bunch of codes but my concern is that its not going to fix your problem if its a fuel system issue or a sensor or a turbo because thease dont come with recon engines if it starts first time then it sounds like theres not a big issue with the engine

from you comments it sounds like the garage did not do a full and proper diagnosis if you paid them any money for this service then you are entitled to the findings and that should include any fault codes that lead them to this diagnosis

as for them posting this to other dealers that does not and can not be achieved we cant see history of vehicles other than previously claimed warranty operations

so try another garage or dealer i would suspect that your problem is more on the fuel side of the engine

best of luck

paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts