Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might only be a question for fellow Aussies but only because we do not seem to have a common type of head / media unit in our cars - it seems to vary quite a lot depending on the country. But if you have the answer nonetheless, great!

Anyway, all I am trying to do is have the existing analogue clock face shown on my display - but nothing else apart from that - when the radio is on.

I can obviously get the analogue clock to display if I turn the whole unit off but I never do that normally anyway. And pressing the "Disp" button just make the entire screen go blank.

I would be happy with the digital clock only if that were possible, but it seems like my only options with the radio on are the "busy" Radio display or a blank screen.

Having read through the manual it does not seem to be possible to do what I want but I am sure if it is possible someone has figured out how to do it!

Thanks.

btw, this is for a 2018 model. Things might have changed with the bigger units on the current models.

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,393 Posts
Not sure if this helps at all but I've programmed the 'favourite' button, the one marked with the star symbol, to be a blank screen where the screen is blank apart from the digital clock showing. So if I don't want distracting while the radio (or anything else) is showing I press the star button and the screen only shows the clock. To return to the radio either press the radio button or star button.

Reactions: iooi

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Sadly only our facelifted model (2020 onwards) has the unit with that favourite / star button. Mine has the earlier slightly smaller display.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,501 Posts
Have you found a Screensaver setting amongst the settings options? I think there is an option in the LG unit in my (UK) car - next time I'm out I'll check.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you found a Screensaver setting amongst the settings options? I think there is an option in the LG unit in my (UK) car - next time I'm out I'll check.
You would think there would be a screensaver but I couldn't find anything in the manual about it and after fiddling through all the interfaces I couldn't find anything either. Only thing I found was some standby screen option (under the clock settings menu) that does show the clock, but only when the unit is turned off with the physical knob on the left (on / off switch).

I suspect Kia (at least for the unit in mine) never thought of the idea of a screen saver or just showing the clock which is really bizarre.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,501 Posts
Have just checked my Stonic and the screensaver option (digital or analogue clock) only functions with the radio off as far as I can establish - so yes I guess it would be nice to have it go to screensaver when in radio mode.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Have just checked my Stonic and the screensaver option (digital or analogue clock) only functions with the radio off as far as I can establish - so yes I guess it would be nice to have it go to screensaver when in radio mode.
Pretty sure my Xceed can display the screensaver with audio on. I have my Star Button set to activate the screensaver and I'm sure the sound stays on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
I checked whilst out this afternoon in the car and, with the radio already on, pressed Settings, Display, Display Off, and up came the analogue clock only, centre of screen with a black background, and station continuing to play.

I think you need to change the Screensaver to the Analogue Clock choice

I have the 7” screen model, which should be the same as yours CS, unless they used a different model in Oz

·
Registered
232 Posts
Just remembered that you said this earlier CS

“You would think there would be a screensaver but I couldn't find anything in the manual about it and after fiddling through all the interfaces I couldn't find anything either”

Second item on the second page of the Settings (Swipe to change pages)

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,501 Posts
Pretty sure my Xceed can display the screensaver with audio on. I have my Star Button set to activate the screensaver and I'm sure the sound stays on.
That seems to be the secret - changed my * key to scree saver and as you say it turns the screensaver on and leaves radio on. There must be another way to trigger the screensaver from the ordinary menus but I have not yet found it

Reactions: Alanw47

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I definitely don't have the same options you guys have so either my head unit is running different hardware and / or firmware. But thanks very much for all the suggestions - it was greatly appreciated.

If and when chip production and car sales get back to normal I will probably be getting a second Picanto (while keeping my 2018 one as well) so it will be interesting to compare the old and new media / head unit hardware.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
my home button or when i turn the car on, I see the digital clock my user on one side and a darkened nav map on the otherside.
The 'screensaver' is different to that, although to be honest, there isn't much point to it. The screensaver options (Digital or Analogue clock) are in the settings somewhere and can be allocated to the 'Star' or 'Favourites' button, but having taken the last year to find it, it's nothing to get too excited over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.