Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Im new to this forum, but looks good.

My wife and I are thinking of buying a Sportage, because my wife is Pregnant. We want a safe, large, practical 4x4. I used to have a Hyundai Coupe which was great, and i know Kias are similar and so have no issues buying a Kia.

We are looking at the XS, 2.7V6 on an 07 plate, which has done less than 50k miles. So the warranty should still be ok and we dont expect to exceed 100k miles before it runs out.

Couple of questions.

- Do you think this is a good one to buy?

- Fuel efficiency, it says about 28 but some things i have read say its more like 20. Can anyone confirm either way?

- Does it have ISOfix child seat ancor points do you know?

Cheers

Joel

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was after a 2nd hand Sportage earlier this year and had an extensive drive of a 07 & 08 model (both CRDi/manual gearbox). There is a surprising difference between the 2 cars which look more or less the same from the outside (different grill and 'black bezel' lights on the 08). The 08 built in Slovakia (see plate under bonnet to check on inside of left wing) benefits froma re-tuned suspension and bigger brakes. It also has revised steering which makes it feel heavier/better weighted. The seats were revised in 08 too and are longer and wider in the squab. The 07 model does have a few more 'gizmos' such as a under seat tray and traction control.

Having driven both I much preferred the 08 - less body roll and really powerful brakes - however the clincher for me was the warranty - 7 years or 100k miles on the 08 rather than 3 years on the 07. I also like the idea that the car was built in the EU. Having put around 3000 miles on the 08 model, I'm averaging a but under 38 mpg. The only issue has been a sticky EGR valve but that was sorted under warranty. I did ask the dealer how much an insurance style warranty would cost on the 07 model and it was £600 for 2 years.....I suppose that means the 5 year warranty left on the 08 is worth about £1500!

So the message from me is see if you can find an 08 model (Slovakian built) that you like and can afford.....no V6 option though.

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, i will bear it all in mind.

There are a few things i want on it, does anyone know which models these things are on? and which ones it rules out?

automatic transmission

black paint

traction control

full leather

heated seats

air con

cruise control

4wd

Thanks

Joel

·
Registered
197 Posts
Assuming you are going for an 08+ model you will need the Titan if you want all the toys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
probably not going for a 08+then for that reason then, as I cant see many titans for sale and expect would cost more thanI want to pay if i could find one.

Im not too worried about a warranty as we wont cover too many miles each year.

So 05-07, what does that leave me with?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, thanks murphwiz.I found the specs for the XS on the net, and i think your right, thats what i am looking for then, an XS model.

I have to say i think im pretty likely to get a sportage now.

On Honest John site, looking at the review of the 05+ model (which seems to talk mainly of the 08+ facelift model in fact) it talks about the fuel efficiency of the diesels being much much lower than claimed, with the best reported being 32 from the manual and the worst 21 from an auto.

How true is this, and does this in fact mean i should being looking at a petrol, not a diesel?

Thanks

Joel

·
Registered
682 Posts
Hi Joel, as you can see I am running an XS auto and get between 33 to 38 MPG.
Great car really like the auto and good for motorway cruising.

Bob.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think Honest John is being a bit hard on the consumption. My manual CRDi has averaged 36.69 MPG over 5000 miles (from 24k to 29k) which is slightly less than the combined figure of 39.8. My best tank-to-tank was 45.96 achieved on a long run and the worst was 31.88 (close to the urban figure of 31.7). It always surprises me when people assume they should be achieving the combined figure when they are probably not driving the same urban & extra urban ratio that the fuel testing uses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts