Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at getting an electric car for a while now and after starting a new job with a longer commute I think now is the time. Had a few cars on my list that I liked and have settled on the E-Niro. Popped into my local Kia garage, expecting to be told there was a long wait however they do have some new E-Niros available. They are the Niro 2 when I would probably of gone for a 3 but my main question is, am I better waiting for the new 2022 Niro EV or take the plunge now?

I’ve tried looking online but can’t see anything which explicitly provides any difference between the current Niro and the 2022 version apart from the obvious visual difference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you can get an e Niro now, then it might be worth going for it. Even if you decide to change in 12-18 months you may find residuals/delivery times still make it worthwhile for you. I would imagine a new Niro EV will be a loooong wait.

There are some good videos of the new Niro EV on line and, as you say, technically there is not a huge difference. It seems to be a new body put ion top of the old techie bits. If you don't mind not having the latest bodystyle it may be a good call as you can check out having an EV without a horrendous delivery time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It seems to be a new body put ion top of the old techie bits
It isn't even the same chassis, completely new platform so pretty much everything is different, size, internal space, boot space, frunk...

However if there is a need for a car now than you can't beat 'in stock', a new order for the Niro EV will probably be Sept/Oct at this point.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It isn't even the same chassis, completely new platform so pretty much everything is different, size, internal space, boot space, frunk...
I was talking about the actual battery and range performance. Obviously the car is all new, but reviews are saying that the car is very much on par with the E Niro rather than a generational leap forward in range. In this case, the techie bits are the same (battery/motor, etc.)

·
Super Moderator
10,005 Posts
New Niro EV is still a compromise compared to the EV6 as it is not built on the E-GMP platform.

Some good reviews on U-Tube on the new Niro.

"2" spec does not have Connect APP or built in Navigation. You will need to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play for navigation.

As to should I wait. Well that is going to depend on being able to find a "Old" Niro in a spec you would like. They are pretty much like hens teeth now.

I would see how the numbers stack up really. Maybe even look at used one to start with.

·
Registered
93 Posts
One thing before opting for the Niro: make sure you have heard the external reversing alerts and are happy with them. It's a very marmite thing. Some think they are the bees-knees. Others, like me, hate them and find themselves having to plan ahead so as not to have to reverse too early or too late in the day. I really wish someone had warned me about it before I signed the contract for the car but I'm stuck with it for at least a couple of years now. Anyway, if you don't mind the 'bongs' the Niro is a very friendly, easy to use car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New Niro EV is still a compromise compared to the EV6 as it is not built on the E-GMP platform.
The platform was however explicitly designed for multiple power train options so not as much of a compromise as the adaptation of existing ICE platforms, but it is not 800V like E-GMP.

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro 4
276 Posts
Not a lot different in the new Niro EV as against the E-Niro, just more modern styling, performance wise it's not going to be much different. I bought mine as a secondhand ex at 7 months old, had it for 16 months now and it's been brilliant, so I'd say go for it now as waiting times can get really long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts