Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Help me - am I having a funny turn or should I really be considering a brand new Kia estate -
SW Sport.

I currently have a 54 reg Mercedes C-class auto saloon (180K avantguard with lots of toys)

I am looking to get an estate car and in the process reduce emission and get better mpg. I am also looking to go for a manual (which rules out another Merc really).

My list of favourites are - Audi A4 avant diesel (used) or a VW Passat Highline diesel (used). But for the same money a brand new Kia SW sport has also turned my head and the 7 year warranty is a real draw.

Are there any owners out there with an SW sport and what would they suggest? Am I losing the plot??

Edited by: micman

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Micman,
I've got a 2.0 litre crdi Sport SW - had it six weeks and its done 4500 miles.

Economy getting better, but all KIA engines are tight when new and don't expect advertised mpg until 5-10k miles at least. Comfort is excellent, as is road-holdingand it goes well. The boot is spacious (and useable) and the storage bits around the car are handy. First gear is a bit low, sixth is high but useable, as engine has good torque low down and thus supplies seamless acceleration if driven that way (I don't).Radio/CD/mp3 player has good sound and speakers seeem to be good quality. Suspension is a bit hard, but not lost any fillings yet and the offset to the hard suspension, is that it carries weight very well (and still goes round corners laden - thanks ESP).

Drive one - most of us like ours and as the lads (and lasses) with the Pro-ceed can tell you the engine can be upped to 160bhp! Ball in your court - its not a Merc, but it hasn't got a Merc price................ it just does what it says on the box.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Retired & Content---Micman
Come on lads poormans Passat !!! I don't think so,
Kia are carving their own niche, with the Ceed range.
7 years warranty.
Decent spec.
Good diesel engine.
Just take a look at these points:
Injection system Bosch
Tyres Michelin
If you care to look under the bonnet you will see the components are sourced from a lot of the same suppliers that sell to VW, Merc, Audi, etc etc.
There is only one good reason people don't buy Kia at present,
it's the 3 letters on the motif that spell "KIA"

If were honest we are all badge snobs, you guys may be a little younger than me but just remember some of the efforts we produced in the past.
Morris 1100
Austin Allegro
Morris Marina
I think you should consider Initial Cost, Economy, Pracicality
I better shut up now.
As I keep saying I do not work for Kia or one of the dealerships I want value for money and good service and backup, so far so good

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey, R & C, the Morris 1100 was'nt a bad un. Fond memories. Yes the Marina was dog of a beast. Agree if itwas'nt for snobbery there'd be more Ceeds on the roads. I have access to a 2007 volvo estate, and Ceed comes a close second and miles ahead on fuel consumption.
Micman ifyou do go for one make sure you have reversing sensors. Rearview judgements can be a pig!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys

Thanks for your replies.

Think I need to test drive it some more before I feel confident in the decision. One of my other worries is the depreciation of a Kia. Obviously having had a Merc the resale values are pretty rock solid, as they are with an Audi or BMW etc.

I can't help thinking however that the 7 year warranty will keep the re-sale value of a 3 or 4 year old Ceed pretty strong - guess time will tell.

In my opinion Kia have definately raised the game - that's the main reason I'm having this dilema. A few years ago you really did get what you paid for in terms of quality and reliability but now that gap has been narrowed.

I guess it all comes down to me really - like you mentioned it's the 'badge thing'! Can I get over the badge snobbery and be content with the Kia!!! Arghh decisions, decisions!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Ed Jay, it wasn't me talking about BL's offerings.

And to yesitsmeagain; "the poor man's Passat" is a compliment to the Ceed. As you correctly stated the fuel system, tyresand some of the electrics are made by the same companies that supply VAG, might consider changing the tyres though. Goodyears or Pirellis should be quieter. I disagree with the badge bit. Having a Ceed SWSport I have a car that most KIA owners have never seen on the road, never mind owners of badge snob cars. I have only seen one SW and that was in France earlier in May.

Incidentally, I drove a Morris 1100 Mark II when they were new; that also was a rare car at that time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry R&C, please accept apolos.
I remember the 'Rover' being "thepoorman's Rolls Royce". With manufacturing becoming so globalised and standardised,the "much of a muchness" in production line cars nowadays is minimal.

Theworkmanship in VW cars are pretty good, and the CeeD is not quite there with the top Europeans. There are minute vibrations in mine which I know should not be there. Nonetheless, "Bang for Buck" it ishard to beat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Micman, I'm in the same conundrum. We currently have two Saab 9-5 2.3t (an estate & a saloon). I need to change my saloon. I would normally consider a BMW, Volvo, VW or Audi (not Merc as they rust and are too expensive to repair). However, I'm drawn to the Kia Ceed for the low running costs and warranty. Our Saab's only do around 24mpg on average, so changing to a Ceed diesel will more than half our fuel costs. What really convinced me to change to a more middle market brand was how good a Ford Focus 1.6 diesel was after having one on hire a couple of times recently and doing 2,000 miles in them. It was a noisy on the motorway, but the 56 mpg won me over. I even averaged 83.1 mpg on a 2 hour trip!

I test drove a Ceed SW 2.0 diesel Sport this week. I was expecting the 2.0 to be better. I've yet to drive the 1.6 diesel, but I think the 1.6 makes more sense as it has the same performance on paper and better mpg. The Ceed is a good car, but it isn't anywhere in the same league as the German brands when it comes to luxury feel. However, it is in a different price bracket and the warranty is why you'd swap. If Kia can warranty it for 7 years/100,000 miles then it has to be good quality and even though some of the plastics seem a little low rent, doesn't mean that the car is any less reliable or lower build quality. When you look at new VWs or BMWs, their plastic interiors are obviously to a budget now too.
I've decided to get a Kia anyway, as my main criteria are warranty, low running costs, safety (i.e. must be Euroncap 5) and good spec (i.e. must have elec rear windows, air con etc). I wanted a Ceed estate, but my wife doesn't like the look of them and wants me to get a hatch. However, she really wants a Soul now she has seen them and I've now got three to choose from. The Ceed is boring/bland on the looks. The Soul looks fab and I think my 10 year old daughter got it bang on when she said it looked like a Mini crossed with a Land Rover Discovery 3. Both of those cars we owned a few years ago and I am drawn to the love it or hate it looks. But I do think it is a bit girly.
Ahhh. I've been reading the brochures every night and I still can't make up my mind which one to go for. All we have decided is that it is going to be a Kia and it is going to be in white.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts