Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello AllI have an early 2002 (51 plate) 2.9 diesel sedona with an unknown engine fault. The head was removed by a garage and I was advised that, nothing untoward having been found to that point, I would be best advised to replace the engine, as further investigation would probably be not be economically viable. Having spent many months looking for an engine, fretting over whether they are reliable and listening to people who have serve many years in the motor trade, say that the symptoms indicate less serious faults including head gasket, turbo failure and injector faults I had decided to refit the head and start again.

However!

I have found a w reg sedona advertised locally which I might be able to use as a donor car.
The car has an asking price of £850 and is described as having various cosmetic faults and faults peripheral to the engine. The engine and gearbox are said to be fine.
I really need to get the sedona back on the road as the other car I use is restricting my life to a certain extent and costing more that a sedona would. Also, I could use a fair few other bits from this car.

How much money I need to spend to get my life back on track is something only I can decide on, but I would appreciate some advice regarding the mileage on the advertised car. This is stated as being 165000 miles. I know that there are many diesel engines which have covered well over 200,000 miles and are said to be still going strong. Is the sedona engine regarded as one of these long lived engines?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The mileage shouldn't be an issue, most petrol cars will do 165000 easily these days, let alone diesels, provided they're looked after. My old cheapy K series powered Rover is on 140000 with little sign of its age.

I suppose if it starts easily from cold and hot, the oil pressure light goes out, it drives ok and has passed a recentish smoke test then you shouldn't have a problem.

What's up with the one you've got though? Why did a garage take the head off?

·
Registered
702 Posts
eddieh said:
Hello AllI have an early 2002 (51 plate) 2.9 diesel sedona with an unknown engine fault. The head was removed by a garage and I was advised that, nothing untoward having been found to that point, I would be best advised to replace the engine, as further investigation would probably be not be economically viable. Having spent many months looking for an engine, fretting over whether they are reliable and listening to people who have serve many years in the motor trade, say that the symptoms indicate less serious faults including head gasket, turbo failure and injector faults I had decided to refit the head and start again.

However!

I have found a w reg sedona advertised locally which I might be able to use as a donor car.
The car has an asking price of £850 and is described as having various cosmetic faults and faults peripheral to the engine. The engine and gearbox are said to be fine.
I really need to get the sedona back on the road as the other car I use is restricting my life to a certain extent and costing more that a sedona would. Also, I could use a fair few other bits from this car.

How much money I need to spend to get my life back on track is something only I can decide on, but I would appreciate some advice regarding the mileage on the advertised car. This is stated as being 165000 miles. I know that there are many diesel engines which have covered well over 200,000 miles and are said to be still going strong. Is the sedona engine regarded as one of these long lived engines?
I would ask if the oil pump has been changed at that milage. These engines are notorious for oil pumps giving up the ghost at around that milage usually meaning new or second hand engine. I would be carefull if all you are buying the car for is the engine. I've seen somewhere (cant remember where at the moment) this weekend one for sale for £300-350 could have been Ebay or on here or the other Kia forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr RustyThe problem I had was sudden loss of power, copious amount of smoke from the exhaust and horrendous noise (sounded even more diesel like than a diesel engine from a long time ago). I had described the smoke as being white but to be honest, my main concern was getting off the carriageway before some poor soul behind me had a bad accident. It definitely wasn't black and I don't remember it as being blue although it possibly wasn't snow white.The car was recovered to a garage where, as part of the investigation, the head was removed. The garage said that he had found nothing so far that would explain the failure and that further investigation could be like throwing money into a pit. Their recommendation was to replace the engine.
It has been sitting on the drive, with the head off for over six months now and although I had decided to refit the head with the assistance of a workmate who has a little bit more idea about what he is doing, I am getting very frustrated at not being able to use the car and toyed with the idea of buying a tatty motor which I could test drive and inspect to get some idea of the state of the engine rather than buy a completely unknown engine from somebody 200 miles away.

bruno1926

I'll have to have another look at ebay and a first look at the forum. The only really cheap ones I've found so far have had engine prob's

Thanks to both for your replies

·
Registered
702 Posts
eddieh said:
Mr RustyThe problem I had was sudden loss of power, copious amount of smoke from the exhaust and horrendous noise (sounded even more diesel like than a diesel engine from a long time ago). I had described the smoke as being white but to be honest, my main concern was getting off the carriageway before some poor soul behind me had a bad accident. It definitely wasn't black and I don't remember it as being blue although it possibly wasn't snow white.The car was recovered to a garage where, as part of the investigation, the head was removed. The garage said that he had found nothing so far that would explain the failure and that further investigation could be like throwing money into a pit. Their recommendation was to replace the engine.
It has been sitting on the drive, with the head off for over six months now and although I had decided to refit the head with the assistance of a workmate who has a little bit more idea about what he is doing, I am getting very frustrated at not being able to use the car and toyed with the idea of buying a tatty motor which I could test drive and inspect to get some idea of the state of the engine rather than buy a completely unknown engine from somebody 200 miles away.

bruno1926

I'll have to have another look at ebay and a first look at the forum. The only really cheap ones I've found so far have had engine prob's

Thanks to both for your replies
Eddie

There is a guy at wellinborough goes by the name of SedonaGary on Ebay he 's not a million miles away from you .He breaks and sells Sedonas he might be worth emailling or ringing about an engine his details are [email protected] mobile 07799 408459 he maybe able to help you out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sounds hopeful. Ta.I did see the engine for sale yesterday, but read it as being the wrong one for my Sedona. Having re-read it, I am a little confused. Isn't the crdi engine correct for a sedona of that age?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Personally I've never bought an egine without a car attached.....because no matter how ropey the donor car is you will at least be able to drive it and assess the state of the engine. Plus you get to fill the shed up with all the other bits you never knew you wanted until you need them.

If it was me, I'd buy the whole car, because you know what you're getting works and is correct. Given the amount of work/time involved in changing it buying an unknown/undriven engine is always a gamble, guarantee or not.

·
Registered
702 Posts
eddieh said:
That sounds hopeful. Ta.I did see the engine for sale yesterday, but read it as being the wrong one for my Sedona. Having re-read it, I am a little confused. Isn't the crdi engine correct for a sedona of that age?
Eddie
Is it a CRDI engine or the earlier TDI one? It normally tells you on the intercooler plastic cover , if not is there 1 pipe from the pump to a rail and then 4 pipes off it? thats the CRDI engine the other has 4 pipes from the pump direct to the injectors. 51 is about the change over time for the Mk1 to Mk2 with the CRDI engine in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my confusion is about the engine for sale. It is stated as being a CDRI engine, but the car offered for spares or repair (needing an engine) is a 56 reg car. Doesn't a 56 reg sedona have a CRDI engine?

·
Registered
702 Posts
eddieh said:
my confusion is about the engine for sale. It is stated as being a CDRI engine, but the car offered for spares or repair (needing an engine) is a 56 reg car. Doesn't a 56 reg sedona have a CRDI engine?
Eddie if it was a diesel it would, maybe its one of the rarer V6 2.5 Petrol versions that have liner problems

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hadn't thought it might be petrol.Talking of V6 engines, I often see ads for 2.9 V6 diesel engined Sedonas. Was such an engine used?

·
Registered
702 Posts
eddieh said:
Hadn't thought it might be petrol.Talking of V6 engines, I often see ads for 2.9 V6 diesel engined Sedonas. Was such an engine used?
No mate it seems to be something to do with how the Sedona was described to the DVLA by Kia. Mines a 4 cylinder 2.9 TDI diesel but the log book says V6 as do many more, it even shows as a V6 at the mot garage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have phoned SedonaGary who has an engine for £795 (54,000 miles). Think I might go with that

·
Registered
702 Posts
eddieh said:
Have phoned SedonaGary who has an engine for £795 (54,000 miles). Think I might go with that
He 's a good guy and knows his Sedona's inside out he breaks and sells them , Tell him Rick sent you to him , I use him alot for parts. Ask him if he's done the cam belt, if not buy one and do it out of the car it's way way easier to do that way
Edited by: bruno1926

1 - 15 of 15 Posts