Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had cause for some warranty work on my C'eed.
When I got the car back I was told that they had also done a software upgrade, which was unrelated to the warranty work being carried out.

It would appear to be a policy that software is upgraded when the opportunity arises.

Some other manufactrers wont update the software unless its causing problems.

Personally, I'd like to decide when the software should be updated. after all its my car. E.g. if my PC broke Id want it repaired, but not necessarily updated with latest drivers.

Just wondered what others views were.
Edited by: UncleZen

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
From personal experience with Ford when they get your car and plug it into their computer it will tell them if there are updates which they theninstall as matter of course. Would expect Kia to do the same.

Microsoft update your software constantly, its called Windows update.

Paul

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Microsoft update your software constantly, its called Windows update.

Agreed, but you, the end user have a choice, you dont have to apply windows updates, or you can apply them when you know they are rhobust, i.e. after a week without reported problems.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It would be nice to have the choice, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...but it's probably a condition of the warranty that you have to accept updates.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Unfortunately when doing a warranty claim, kia say you must do any outstanding campaigns on the vehicle, be it an ecu upgrade or a high level brake light mod, before warranty claim can be paid! so all cars going in for work/service get checked for upgrades.

·
Registered
662 Posts
why would you not want something for free? am sure if kia decided you had to pay for the upgrade you would be moaning as it iskia pay the dealer for doing the upgrade avarage cost is £30 per car per upgrade

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I'm not sure what it's like with cars, but I've done lots of PC upgrades in the past and sometimes updating the BIOS on a motherboardis not always a good idea. Most manufacturers say on their websites if the PC is functioning correctly, don't install the update! This is because the motherboardcan be fitted with a huge range of different processors, memory types etc etc and how these things interact can be unpredictable. In a car, all the hardware should be essentially identical from one car to the next and be sourced from a more limited range of manufacturers, so the chances of problems occuringare greatly reduced.
Witha car I can understand why a manufacturer would insist on the update - for warranty reasons. Maybe the engine might damage itself under certain unforseen circumstances, or due to a minor coding error. But if that update led to a drop in, dare I mention it,MPG...well that's a can of worms! lol

I can see both sides of the argument, but would I probably accept any update. However, it would be nice to be told what the updates were and why they were installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if the dealer didnt and your turbo packed in would you be ok to pay for a new turbo? that is the purpose of the upgrade!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

i took my kia ceed on a 59 plate in today to have a leak looked at and when i got it back my USB drive had been removed from its slot and the hands free kit no longer worked properly.I enquired what they had done and it turns out they had updated my cars ECU via a usb data stick which explains why my data stick was removed.

i played holy hell at them because my hands free kit no longer works correctly and i got the manager involved.Out of curiosity we tried 5 phones on my car and 3 others brand new on the showroom floor with the same update my car had and their bluetoth kits didnt work correctly either .We tried them on an older car that had just been traded in and the bluetooth worked fine.

I am still waiting for the kia dealership to get back in touch after i requested then demanded they put back the older ecu software which is easy to do yet for some reason very difficlt for the dealership to grasp.Currently my hands free kit is useless and actually dangerous to use and if caught trying to use my phone by police the way it is now i could face 3 points and a fine.

i will update this with more information as i get it but i would seriously suggest standing over the mechanics if you are due to take your car in and ensure they do not apply any system updates if you want your hands free kit to work especially on the kia cee'd

in answer to the question no they should not update without your consent i have never noticed any difference in performance after any of these updates and like others have mentioned computer manufacturers advise against flashing firmware unless there is a problem.

kia themselves have been no help at all and will not speak to members of teh public about issues with their product only kia dealerships.All they have to do is email me the flippin firmware/software and i would do it myself and have my handsfree kit working in a few mins rather than travelling back and forth repeatedly while the dealership rub their heads in confusion

Edited by: snozzler29

·
Registered
437 Posts
An ECU upgrade I can assure you is not done via USB. The only upgrade done via USB is for the stereo which should not affect bluetooth functionality. What hands free kit do you have?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts