Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my new Soul with an additional 3 year£370 "Service Plan" 2 years ago. Today, I had it in the dealers for its second service. I received a call from them saying the front brakes needed "cleaning and greasing"andthis would cost an additional £79.49 + VAT!
I refused this.

When I got home I had a look at the Soul Owners Manual, page 7 -23 which clearly states that the 24 month service includes brakes. This is the actual wording.

Disc Brakes and pads. Drum Brakes and linings (if equipped)

Inspect and if necessary, adjust,correct, clean or replace

I spoke to the service manager later and he doesnt agree with the owners manual. Ive been patient with him explaining that my Owners Manual is the only documentation I can refer too but he is adamant that I should pay.

Any suggestions or am I in error here?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Contact KIA and clarify it with them ,I had new brake pads in for that price ! I think they are trying it on,do not pay them.They should be working to Kia's service shedule so if thats what it says thats what it is.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Chess said:
the front brakes needed "cleaning and greasing"andthis would cost an additional £79.49 + VAT!

LOL!! Clean and grease front pads???
Thats proper funny!

I think, for a giggle, clarify exactly what they would do for that, and of course why it needed doing, please do, and post up result!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Tin of brake cleaner £1.99

Pot of copper Grease to put around wheel locating pins and back of the pads£8.99

Two front breaks scubbed with a bit of blue roll and soft wire brush by the garage apprentise60mins £30

Service Manager who can not clearly f**king read.....Priceless!

Tell them NO, ring Kia H/O from the dealership if you have to... brother had asimular problem withhis350Z.He rang nissan customer services on his mobile phone, read the service managers name right from his badge, explained the problem tothewoman/man on the end of the phone and then handed his phone to the service manager.....he wasvery embarrased to say the least but the problem was sorted.Anyway, before you even drive of the premises, check they have actually done the work they tried charging you for...but for christ sake dont hand over a penny. oh and if there copper grease is wearing off after 12months (since last servise) there there using the cheap crap in an aerosol can.
Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
79 Posts
I too have a 5 year service plan from Viking but yet to have the first service done. I cannot believe what is being asked for here. If I am asked for any money above any expendable items I will be cancelling the plan. Perhaps Viking Paul can comment on this?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just remind ourselfs this is DEALER problems...there not all the same. If it were a Kia UK problem then everyone's in trouble. After the expence Gravells Kia, Viking Kia, Middleton Grange and others pay to advertise (and lets face it...pay for us to keep this forum operating) I doubt they would want to tarnish there reputation with such a clear violation of the Kia operating manual. For a bit of grease, and brake cleaning fluid, i wouldnt even charge for. Its like a carpenter charging for wood glue to fix a chair leg!
Labours a grey area. I think i could do both fronts in an hour, and at £80+VAT thats a bad deal BUTIf it say's in the maual it needs doing on a 24mth servicethen it should be covered in the service plan.

As silly as it soundsI think this forum has more clout than alot of dealers realise.

"Our sites attract over a million visitors every month"....you get a bad name on here and servise shops could soon start to loose money or go out of business all together, if they push there luck like they have tried doing. If Kia H/O dont get you anywhere...maybe a name and shame chess?
Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a similar service plan on a Hyundai i10 (same group as Kia) and a recent service included every last thing including a free puncture repair done! That's how it should be. Chess, you need to name and shame that UK dealer so others can avoid them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They called me today and offered to reduce the charge to £40 as a "goodwill gesture!" Ive told them that Im going to take this up with Kia direct. Watch this space!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Richie76 is right this forum does carry clout,I have just moved to Bridlington and I got a reccommended dealer in Kirkbymoorside from this site who seems to be very good. Do not give in to them,It was all in in my 25k service and also cleaned afterwards . I only paid the standard service charge which I checked with 4-5 other dealers,in fact the knocked a further discount offwhich made it very well priced.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
In my opinion a service plan is a service plan. The only charge i would expect outside of that would be disc and pad replacement, tyre replacement and exhaust...... ie consummables.

If something on the car wasnt working right and needed further maintenance - i would regard that as warranty work.
Edited by: tempest

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just looked in my "generic" user manual and it says i'm responsible for changing fluids including oil! So what the hell is a service? If everything included in a service is an extra...then I'll do it all myself and have them stamp the book. I can see there invoice looking like this thought

Pad ink£4.50
Stamp wear and tear £3
Ink from biro 50p
Admin cost £85
+ VAT begining to think this warranty (and all car warranties) are a big con to get extras

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.